The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder what type of glass bed kits work the best?
I used to use Micro-Bed but it no longer made never had any problems.
I need to do one rifle remington 600 mohawk front of the action and recoil lug.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
2nd on acra glass.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
LoneWolf,
You will improve the accuracy of that rifle Did it to one I had in 308 sold it a few ago wish I had not done so.
Sold it to a good guy though on here, Briar!!
May have been a 660 I am Old and Have CRS problem!!
Smage

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
AcraGlas is , well OK, but I haven't used it for bedding in years, since the late 70s anyway. If fact, the last time I used it IIRC was to repair some dining room chairs.

The stuff of choice today is Devcon Plastic Steel, Devcon F-F2 and Kiwi neutral shoe polish or Johnsons Paste wax for release agent.

Bedding Compounds
There are at least a dozen popular products used for rifle bedding. At one time or another, Richard has tried most of them. Devcon 10110 "Plastic Steel® Putty" is the only compound he currently uses and the only product he endorses whole-heartedly. "The Devcon 10110 is expensive, but it is the best bedding product I've found. First, it sets up extremely hard. That is very important to the performance and longevity of the bedding job. You want it to get it as hard as concrete. You need it really hard so when you tension the action screws it doesn't squish down or migrate. Some of the brown stuff other folks use is way too soft. Marine Tex is also too soft. Many products will shrink. Any compound that shrinks is useless in my book. Devcon has absolutely near-zero shrinkage. Acra-glass I keep in my shop, as it is useful for stock repairs. However I would never bed with Acra-Glass.

A good read how it should be done.
Richard Franklin Stress free bedding

Bill

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
You amaze me Bill, my old friend Seely Masker got me on to using it. I used accu glass also, one evening i did 2 dining room chairs and my ball starter.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
outofstater said:
You amaze me Bill, my old friend Seely Masker got me on to using it. I used accu glass also, one evening i did 2 dining room chairs and my ball starter.
Many moons ago Bob Pease(RIP) got me using Devcon F(putty)-F2(liquid) for bedding material. Later on started the Plastic Steel also. Haven't used Acraglas for bedding since.

A funny. Had a guy bring one in he couldn't get apart, his first job. A short long story, he used black roof patch!

Bill

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had some time last night used the [email protected] with Kiwi polish
I glass the front recoil lug area into the barrel channel about 2" came out out standing .I did break it apart this morning (no air pocket)
clean up in a snap

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to the range to see if any difference as far as group:WOW 3 shots in the same hole at 60 yards
I find IMR 4064 did the trick with the Rem: core-lock 100 grains

1 - 12 of 12 Posts