The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My girlfriend has been small game hunting for 20 years and went deer hunting with me 3 years ago to see what it was all about. She took such an interest in it she went and bought herself a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade 270 and became proficient with it. She didn't harvest a buck or a doe last season, her 1st year actually deer hunting but this year was different. We set up up in a ground blind on a ridge looking down a steep hillside to a bench. We heard a couple of deer snorting in the distance early but hadn't seen any deer by 10:15 am. She said to me, I don't think we're going to see any deer today. I said, be patient, things can change in a minute. At 10:20 am, I saw a doe pop up over the edge of the bench 60 yards below our blind. I said, see there's a doe right there. I'm looking at her through the binos and could see more deer moving behind her as she keeps staring behind her. I said to Christine, she's looking at something behind her. I put the binos down and look to my right and see this 8 point walking straight at the blind 50 yards away. I told her, here comes a legal buck, get your gun up and get ready. The buck turned and started walking across the side of the hill directly below us and stopped 40 yards broadside. She steadied the crosshairs, squeezed and I saw the buck mule kick run 20 yards, jump over a fallen tree and start tumbling head over tail down the hill. I said, you got him baby! She said I watched him kick and saw him run but lost sight of him. The buck ran 30 yards and slid 25 yards down the steep hillside. It was a better feeling than getting a deer myself. I'm proud of this gal! Way to go Honey!

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
Nice buck congrats

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
CONGRATS Christine!! Great to see Mark, thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts