390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any 'seng hunters out there??
season opens next week!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I have harvested a little before.

I have a couple "pets" beside the house. At least one of them is already brown and dead and has been for about a week. Seems awfully early.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fun time to be in the woods! Starts today!

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
See some now and then in the woods. Where do you sell it? Do you buy it green or dried?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sell it dried. My long time buyer, Teresa Seko /TNT Furs, passed over this past spring so I need to find another buyer to deal with.

·
Registered
21,258 Posts
I'd love to get into it, but it's tough to get a veteran to show you the ropes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yep! bottom line, ya just gotta go look. Finding out what it likes is critical. N/NW/NE welldrained slopes. Likes secondary light. Companion plants are cohosh, goldenseal, and a number of others I cannot say at the moment. all leaf stems off one point. False ssng (sasparilla)_looks much like it but the leaf stems are not off one point.

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
Look for the red berries. Plant the red berries about 8-10 foot from the original plant about 1 " deep in loose soil.

·
Registered
21,258 Posts
I've heard that when you find one, you should plant the berries to allow the species to continue there.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, plant the ripe berries nearby. Actually I believe the law dictates such.

·
Registered
21,258 Posts
OK, not to highjack the thread, but I just bought some stratified seed. Anyone got any tips to help germination?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just rake the leaves aside, spread the seed then rake the leaves back over.

·
Registered
21,258 Posts
Does that work? I planted some this week and I scraped up the dirt and buried them a little bit, then put the leaves back over them.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that will work too. To put it in perspective, think how seeds are spread naturally.

·
Registered
21,258 Posts
Right, I don't want to bury them too deep because that doesn't happen normally. But at the same time, I don't want rodents making off with them either if I can help it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have dug roots fairly deep. Seeds prolly carried by rodents.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
About 10 years ago or so now I was out looking for ginseng and I knew of an area that had a few. Whether I dig any root or not the ripe seeds I see are planted around the area. I did take one of these seeds home and planted it under my deck and it grew! This plant produces seeds year after year and I have been planting the seeds in the woods next to the house with some of the plants growing now.

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:smile2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts