The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might be a dumb question so be gentle on me. did you guys see the show appalation outlaws? does that plant grow around pa? just curious

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok just wondering how many guys hunt it around here and can you make quick money like on tv? no im not gonna try it im just being nosey

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
It grows in Pa. Price has been down the last couple years. Guy I know use to pick it, he made a ton of money at auction in west virginia. I know of a couple patches but I never pick. I'm more of a Morel man myself!

·
Administrator
28,510 Posts
When I picked in the 1960s the root was not sold green, it had to be dried before it was sold. Maybe that has changed, or maybe they just left that out for the tv show? I dont know, but the show gave the impression that you could just bring it directly from the woods to the dealer and he would seal it up inside a fiber drum to ship it to China. I cant see that working out very well, I'd think it would surely rot and end up being worth nothing.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have lived in Pennsylvania all my life and either didn't know what I was looking for or that it wasn't in my area but never saw it. I did send to Johnny's Seed and bought some seed. It needs to be planted correctly or it won't grow. I finally got some started and this will be the third year but it is growing very slowly. Fur Fish and Game has the root up near $600 per pound, But that is the price of the dry root. I don't think you will get rich and there are now laws about digging it and reseeding it when you find the wild root.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
You can find it in Washington county. It is sold dry.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
My grandfather and I used to dig it when I was a kid.I forget all the particulars about where it grows the best.We used to dig a small bag most days we went out but it takes a pile of dried root to make a pound.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That show is going to cause problems, people will think they can get rich quick and devastate ginseng areas, plus it is just one more people behaving badly show we don't need.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
dce said:
....... but it takes a pile of dried root to make a pound.
The ratio is generally between 3 and 4 to 1, wet to dry.

3 or 4 lbs of dug root dry out to 1 lb of sale-ready dry root.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
pacoalminer said:
this might be a dumb question so be gentle on me. did you guys see the show appalation outlaws? does that plant grow around pa? just curious
Yes, ginseng does grow in PA. It is a plant of concern and is regulated by the Pennsylvania Department of Natural Resources. It has a specific season (September 1 to November 30) The plant is a native to PA and is a plant of concern due to past overharvest caused by it's high value.

I dig "sang" every fall. I don't get much because it takes about 100 large roots to make a pound and to grow a large root takes at least 15 to 20 years in the wild. Plants should have 4 prongs with 5 leaves. You can buy seeds and roots commercially to plant in the right type of soil. But don't think you'll be harvesting a year after planting. If you cultivate it and use fertilizer you can harvest within 6 years but cultivated root is worth much less on the market.

Like John S said, shows like the ones on now is not helping and only hurt this plant. it can be a sustainable resource if taken care of properly.

This is what I found this past fall.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I like to watch the show, but I agree it's bad news for those that have some on their properties. I pick some every year behind my grandmothers. Who's to say someone isn't going to tresspass now and clean it out?

As said, good roots could take 20 years to grow. I've been picking what my grandfather left behind for me. Someone sneaking in won't care about the plants I'm leaving behind. they will take them all.

To the OP question. yes there is ginseng in PA. It's just one of those things folks that have it don't talk about. Law or not leave the young plants and replant the seeds. This is how the oldtimers kept it from being wiped out. Do the right thing and get permission before you pick!

·
Registered
10 Posts
More folks should try growing it. A few hundred seeds later and I have two stable plants that keep coming back each Spring. Anyone else have better luck?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
C. Brookston said:
More folks should try growing it. A few hundred seeds later and I have two stable plants that keep coming back each Spring. Anyone else have better luck?
where do you get the seed from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've purchased seeds on Ebay and from a farm in MD. Each time I had quite a few seedlings sprout and last until Fall, but very few came back in the Spring. I think it's the soil here in NW PA, too much clay.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i dont think ginseng comes up every year? i could be wrong

i agree..that show is such a joke and will do nothing to help the plant or the guys that hunt and sell root legally and ethically..

ive never looked for it in PA...my guessing is we dont have tons of it..it likes VERY little sun light and certain conditions..ive found it in Michigan in VERY mature forests..had i not known via GPS coordinates i probably wouldnt have found the few plants i did find...ground plants like that are tough..its a big blur to me lol..but once you find a couple plants it does stand out a bit..cant go by the red berries either..its not the only red berried plant out there and they arent always there either..

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Google Johnny's Seed. I bought seed from them. I had about 50% germination. If you buy seeds from this seed company you will not get the seed until September. They like to be planted on the north side of rocks or trees for some reason. I know people that dig the root but I never seen it in the wild. A man told me that he planted it under his deck and it grew very good. Mine are either not going to do too good as far as growth or that they are young plants. I am hoping that this spring more of them show better growth and stronger plants. Good luck

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have started several plots from seed. They do come up every year.There are a variety of places to buy seed. I will caution that site location is imperative. My new plot should germinate this spring. Overall, it is growing well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts