The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have dug 'sang in the past but havent dug in prob 12-15 yrs. well today while going through some stuff in my gun safe i found an old bag of 'sang i never sold.

it isnt much, bout 1/4 lb but when i dumped it out onto a paper plate and started going through it i found 31 seeds.

does anyone know if the seeds would still be viable or are they long gone?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Probably too dried out. I remember reading K.D. Pritts book on ginseng a few years ago. something about testing seeds in water. If you put seeds in water and they float they are good. I think, I'll dig out the book an double check it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Wet a paper towel and fold the seeds into it. Wait a few days and keep checking. I planted some last fall and I don't think any of them grew. If they did then all this hot and dry weather is not doing them any good.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well if floating in water means the are viable then i still have 31 good seeds! have to lay them out in a paper towel and see what happens

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
huntfish2 said:
well if floating in water means the are viable then i still have 31 good seeds! have to lay them out in a paper towel and see what happens
I looked up the seed floating thing in the Ginseng book by Kim Derek Pritts. On page 56, it states, floating seeds are not fully formed and contain air within the shell, therefore are unable to produce a plant.
Sorry, I had that backwards from my earlier post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts