The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems early, but maybe not. mine is just starting to sneak up through the leaves. pics are of a 20'x30' "woods" we made in our yard about 1988. its planted with everything from the woods, except the myrtle that somehow got there. its starting to take over, so I will have to deal with it. trees are white oaks, hemlock, spruce, white birch, locust, cherry ect. it really has filled in nice over the years.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Yeah...........

Been noticing it's WAY up.

My couple pet plants outside the kitchen window have been up for about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Blackpowder, All I am seeing is Bloodroot, Dutchmans Britches and Trillium, I did see some false ginseng a couple of weeks ago. You sure ya got sang in those pics.? Not positive on ID on the Dutchman's Britchs could be Squirrel corn. Bob

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blackpowder, All I am seeing is Bloodroot, Dutchmans Britches and Trillium, I did see some false ginseng a couple of weeks ago. You sure ya got sang in those pics.? Not positive on ID on the Dutchman's Britchs could be Squirrel corn. Bob
positive, first picture, just coming up. looks like a 2 prong and a first year plant so far. both on the DB and the SC. also in the "woods" are: trilliums, false hellebore, skunk cabbage, stinging nettles, woods rue, meadow rue, jack-in-the-pulpit, blue and black cohosh, bloodroot, geraniums, may apples, solomon's seal, bur cucumber, mayflower and some I am forgetting. there is a 3 and 4 prong ginseng plant in there also, but they don't all always come up, it changes from year to year.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I want to hunt for ginseng this year. Not sure if it grows where I am.

Easier said than done. Find a big woods that hasn't been logged in quite some time. Put on your walking boots and get on the shady side of the mountain. Stay away from conifers like hemlock and pine.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm in south central PA, so I have michaeux state forest nearby. I plan to go out today for reishi mushrooms so I'll take a look around.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have read that it takes a lot of shade??? Also read that it grows very well under poplar trees? I have some that I planted 4 years ago and it is very slow growing.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
my parents were told they have ginseng on their land .what is the best spot to look for it. meaning northside of hill east ,west , or center of property. have a book on ginseng with pictures. their place is near Ulysess in potter county.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
my parents were told they have ginseng on their land .what is the best spot to look for it. meaning northside of hill east ,west , or center of property. have a book on ginseng with pictures. their place is near Ulysess in potter county.
I will find it more often on north facing slopes but that isn't the key. A hardwood, mature forest with a good mix of maple is where I'll find it. A good companion plant to look for is black cohosh. If you can find that in an area there is a good chance you could find ginseng.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I will find it more often on north facing slopes but that isn't the key. A hardwood, mature forest with a good mix of maple is where I'll find it. A good companion plant to look for is black cohosh. If you can find that in an area there is a good chance you could find ginseng.
Good advice.

Also look for poplar....................and the areas that have the blackest, richest soil. Not a hard and fast rule, but look under oak and pine and hemlock (in that order) dead last.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
your companion plants, blue cohosh and black cohosh, will help tell you if the conditions are suitable for ginseng to grow. they all have the same basic requirements. I have found it in some extremely strange places, where it defied all of the rules. south slopes can be really good on the right year. problem is, it comes up too soon and will get frosted if there is a late frost. but it will lay dormant until the conditions are favorable and come up the next year. good luck to you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts