The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
In my area some are close to 10 inches already. found a cluster of around 40 plants on my property only 3.5 acres in a 10 yard radius.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
I am shocked (SHOCKED) that the DEA, NSA, NRO, KGB or YMCA has not as yet brought this stuff under Federal control. What next; steroids in baseball? The mind boggles.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I planted some seeds under my deck a few years ago and they are growing great! I have a couple of new plants also popping up this year.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Phantom_geo said:
OK, stupid question..or two. What do you do with it when you "harvest" it and where do you get seeds to plant it?
First off, PA has a ginseng harvest season that begins September 1st. They require that you plant the seeds around the area where the plants are harvested. I never pick all of the seed bearing plants in one area.

Another option is to buy stratified ginseng seeds on line. You can get quite a few seeds for not that much money. Just remember that it takes a good 6 to 10 years until they reach harvestible size.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
trapperrick said:
Phantom_geo said:
OK, stupid question..or two. What do you do with it when you "harvest" it and where do you get seeds to plant it?
First off, PA has a ginseng harvest season that begins September 1st. They require that you plant the seeds around the area where the plants are harvested. I never pick all of the seed bearing plants in one area.

Another option is to buy stratified ginseng seeds on line. You can get quite a few seeds for not that much money. Just remember that it takes a good 6 to 10 years until they reach harvestible size.
Good information. Now I wish I had known it 6 - 10 years ago.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
trapperrick said:
Just remember that it takes a good 6 to 10 years until they reach harvestible size.
........... under IDEAL coditions.........soil quality, lighting conditions......

Plant a seed in less than ideal conditions and (IF it ever comes up) it won't be a harvestable size in 15-20 years.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Strut10 said:
trapperrick said:
Just remember that it takes a good 6 to 10 years until they reach harvestible size.
........... under IDEAL coditions.........soil quality, lighting conditions......

Plant a seed in less than ideal conditions and (IF it ever comes up) it won't be a harvestable size in 15-20 years.
Exactly right! The soil has to be slightly acidic, a loamy type soil found around maple stands that will receive approximately 20% to 35% sunlight. Southern or eastern facing slopes are generally preferred but mine ginseng is on a northern slope and doing quite well.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Just to show you how ginseng can change from year to year, this is a plant that has been growing under my deck for about 9 years now. Size wise, it's a large plant, but this year it's only a 2 prong plant. By regulation of DCNR, this plant will be illegal to harvest this year but was legal last year.

Same plant in 2015.

This year, a younger plant and a yearling popped up underneath the large plant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts