The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I bought 100 ginseng and 100 golden seal seeds. I immediately planted them and cannot see where any are coming up. I did mark off each area where I planted them. Is it too early for them to be showing up?

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you purchased quality stratified ginseng seed from a reputable dealer and planted them in the Fall they should be up by now. Did you plant them in areas where ginseng had grown before?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought them from Johnny,s Seed. I don't see any and I marked the areas where I planted. . I didn't have any ginseng on my 10 acres so that is why I bought them. I followed the instructions as to planting depth and shade requirements. With this warm winter and an early spring I thought they should be showing up by now. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all. I called Johnny's Seed and they will either credit my charge card or send more seed in September. I elected for more seed. I don't know what could have happened as I followed the instructions and just how complicated can it be to plant them. They do alright in the wild on their own. I think it must be the seed. The golden seal didn't grow either.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
i'll bet they will come up, when the conditions are right. very mystical plant. if things aren't to it liking, i will stay dormant. time will tell.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I planted ginseng seeds about 8 years ago under my deck. The first year they did real well but the problem is does not have the greatest drainage and lost a few plants due to rot. I do have a few that produces seed every year and started planting them in the patch of woods next to my house. Here is a pic of those from last fall.

·
Registered
876 Posts
these are some 2nd year plants, i will dig them and seperart them this year.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the pics. I keep checking where I marked the planting of the seeds and there is nothing. I think it may be the seeds but I put a lot of them in and seems like a few of them should grow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts