The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
planning a vacation at the park at the end of sept, first of oct. was wondering if there is historic places near there besides Gettysburg. first time going to the park so any info would be helpful. thanks.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You could visit York -the first capital of the United States of America ! There is also a gravesite in York of one of the signers of the Constitution . The York Fair is boasted as the oldest fair in the country and runs the first full week of September .

·
Registered
982 Posts
I was at the York Fair 2 years ago. First time there. My wife and I went to see REO Speedwagen. Nice place and a lot of real nice food.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one more week and we will be headed for Gifford Pinchot. hope the weather stays decent for us. hope to get in a little fishing during the week. is there a bait shop near the park so I can get something to fish with? also, what works best in that lake?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hawghead baits is on north side of lake on rt. 177. If you are after stripers chicken livers are your best bet. Water is very stained, I like black and blue or green pumpkin plastics for largemouths.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you are interested in another lake to fish about 40 mins away, give lake marburg at Codorus state park a try. Good bass fishing, white perch, and some walleye. I live same distance from both lakes and both are good fishing. Good luck and tight lines.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just got back yesterday from gifford pinchot state park. didnt do much fishing, but really enjoyed the park. lake is bigger then i thought. going to have to rent a boat the next time we go out there. cabins were nice. had fun watching the wildlife in the park. got to see a bald eagle while sitting on a bench down by the lake on tuesday evening. it landed in a dead tree on the other side of the lake. must of stayed there for the night cause it was still there when we left to go to the cabin. will definately go back there next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts