The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO which one? Hunted over the new Dakota's last week. Fully flocked drake heads (mallards) and man they're sweet! but they're more expensive than a dozen GHG. Are they worth the extra $50 - $100? Or do you guys think GHG are good enough?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
yes, they are worth it. I have dakota goose decoys and they are by far more durable than ghg's. I was going to switch to dakota ducks but got a really good deal on a new box of GHG's. I like the fact they give you an extra set of heads for the drakes.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have the mallards. The drakes are the best I've ever seen. They are big sturdy and look great. I think they are worth it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I don't have any duck decoys by Dakota, but I do have their X-treme Honker floater geese decoys. One word, AWESOME! Built well and kook real.

My nephew has the Dakota full bodies geese decoys. I love the bases on them.

For ducks, I do have GHG Hot Buys and Pro Grades. Nice decoys for the $$

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The only thing I don't like about flocked headed decoys is you have to use a slotted bag or the flocking gets messed up and to use a slotted bag means you have to make multiple trips because of the bulk. I like the flocking up close, but from any distance, you can't see the detail. We had a dozen dakota's next to a dozen Cabela's real image and from 20 yards, I couldn't see the advantage of the delicate flocking.

My buddy who just got the real image loves them, so do I.... as long as he's carrying them in. His bag of professional, ultra real looking, super durable decoys weighs as much as my 2.5 dozen. I'm in a canoe most days and usually pack them in on our backs. No thanks.

I have some storm fronts, the paint is junk. Same with my tanglefree's... junk paint. I have a few GHG progrades of different species and they seem to be the best compromise of weight, durability and price.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have the ghg pro grades and like em.. One thing to consider about the Dakotas.. You're not going to throw em all in a standard decoy bag and throw it around or you'll need new heads constantly.. I'd recvomend 12 slot decoy bags to keep them nice.. I use the avery deluxe 12 slot for mine and they've held up great

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have a 12 slot Avery decoy bag too. It works well. Don is correct. The Dakotas are heavy and so are Cabela's real image. I have a dozen bluebills and they weigh a ton. If I'm puddle duck hunting and I have to walk in, I won't be taking the Dakotas that day for sure.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Whatever you get I recommend a couple light dustings of flat clear spray paint. Helps keep the paint new looking and if done right doesn't shine.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
vincentpa said:
I have a 12 slot Avery decoy bag too. It works well. Don is correct. The Dakotas are heavy and so are Cabela's real image. I have a dozen bluebills and they weigh a ton. If I'm puddle duck hunting and I have to walk in, I won't be taking the Dakotas that day for sure.
If I only used a dozen decoys, it wouldn't matter as much. I'll put out 3 dozen divers, 3 dozen puddlers and a dozen geese... weight is a huge factor in my decision making. I don't think there is anything worse than the chill that hits you after a half hour cool down, when the sweat from the morning hump in goes cold.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I hear you about the chill after sweating getting set up or walking or paddling in my case. Tomorrow as in most days this season, I'll be hunting alone using my Hybrid. I can only fit 2 dozen Decoys. I'll use 10 mallards, 2 blacks, 4 buffies & 8 blue bills. I also can throw on a pair of foam Herters Canadas. My nephew bailing on me this year to shack up with some broad really has taken a toll in my set up both hunting success and physically too.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Yea i'll be honest.. I'm considering selling all my progrades and going all hot buys.. I like the different positions I have with progrades though.. I have 1 dz actives, 6 feeders and 6 sleeper/resters... I wouldn't mind just using beater decoys and throwing em around

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'll probably get flamed for this, and I know I've said it before, but I really feel that ultra-realistic decoys are more important to the guys who hunt over them, than the birds who die over them!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
jguns2002 said:
I'll probably get flamed for this, and I know I've said it before, but I really feel that ultra-realistic decoys are more important to the guys who hunt over them, than the birds who die over them!

I need any help I can get, real or perceived!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
jguns I would agree... I'm considering selling all my progrades and getting something cheap, but I like the organization of the 12 slot bags and the look of the progrades, but that's me not the ducks...

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
vincentpa said:
jguns2002 said:

FINALLY....you say something that EVERYONE in this forum can agree on!!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
jguns2002 said:
vincentpa said:
jguns2002 said:

FINALLY....you say something that EVERYONE in this forum can agree on!!!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
A member here sold me all of his geese decoys for a song and a dance, because he wanted to upgrade to fully flocked decoys. I'm still killing them with 15 year old silo's, but for the price, I couldn't pass them up.

Whatever floats your boat.

And it seems Jguns and a few others are in my boat. You don't need to have flocked decoys to kill ducks and closer than my old sportplast mallards got them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts