The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I go about getting the game commission to set out one of those deer decoys in my area? I'm tired of all the road hunters and would love to see them get caught. Once word is out, hopefully it will make them think twice. Is there any certain restricions or qualifications to put one out in an area?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Place a fake one in the brush somewhere and spread a rumor that the game commission is set up there. Gossip spreads fast and everyone is sure to steer clear.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Try calling the Pennsylvania Game Commission and sharing your concern. Don't know that the they will actually do anything but all you can do is try. Suppose calling the Regional Office might be the first step. There is also the "Turn in a Poacher" program if you do witness illegal activity.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
rlfb74 said:
How would I go about getting the game commission to set out one of those deer decoys in my area? I'm tired of all the road hunters and would love to see them get caught. Once word is out, hopefully it will make them think twice. Is there any certain restricions or qualifications to put one out in an area?
You need to contact your local WCO via the PGC Region Office and discuss this with him/her. To effectively run a decoy operation a lot of issues must be addressed, such as SAFETY, available manpower, reporting requirements, etc. With limited manpower in some districts, using decoys to apprehend roadhunters during busy days is almost impossible.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread, but...

If the GC made video's of their poaching busts, I'd buy a copy just to see the look on the shooter's face when he knows he is caught.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
if you believe poaching and illegal activities are taking place, call the PGC!! a post on here does no good...no one on here knows if they will or wont run a robo deer operation or not..only the WCO in charge of the area can tell you that...

puma, they are out there! maybe not PGC..but other agencies...search you tube...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We had a guy arrested a few years ago for shooting a doe in our field. The deer actually fell about 10 yards from a posted sign. Word got out and it seemed to help some. I just get tired of seeing the same truck with the same deadbeats riding by 10 times a day going 10 mph, looking for deer. I would love to see them jump out and start shooting at a robot.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
bowhunterjac said:
I would LOVE to sit with them some time they set one of these stings up... !!!
We were heading out for lunch one day and saw deer in a field so we dropped my uncle off a few yards up the road and turned around. Everything was 100% legal but as we were dropping him off we mentioned robo-deer :/and the PGC had set one up there before. He snuck up to the edge of the field and the deer still didn't move. All that is going through his head is that it is robo-deer as he is sneaking up on this doe. He finally closes to 50-70 yards and the deer is still not moving
. Now he is sure it is a robot so he stands up and away she goes!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I've seen the youtube one's, I'd like a 2 hour dvd with a catchy name like "Poachers gone buck wild" or something lile that.lol

It could scrounge up a few dollars for the PGC.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
do you guys think if i set up a deer archery target and filmed guys shooting it i could turn them in? becausse poaching is ridiculous up in bradford county where we go. the guys who plow the roads have guns in their trucks....we found 3 dead bucks up there last week while hunting up there...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
scott and stalk said:
do you guys think if i set up a deer archery target and filmed guys shooting it i could turn them in? becausse poaching is ridiculous up in bradford county where we go. the guys who plow the roads have guns in their trucks....we found 3 dead bucks up there last week while hunting up there...
If they are state employes then all you have to do is call PennDOT or the PSP. It is illegal to have a firearm in a comercial vehicle and PennDOT employes are not allowed to have a firearm in their personal vehicle let alone a state owned vehicle. I have to make sure that I have no guns in my pickup before I go to work and if I want to go out when I get off at 6AM then I have to go back to the house and get my gun.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Duckman, this is not directed at you...just general

Keep in mind that some townships and counties utilize PRIVATE Contractors for snow removal of roadways. The poster did not say it was a Penndot truck, so lets not make assumptions and turn this thread into a Penndot Bashing!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
a local farmer was having problems with people poaching deer at night. so they placed a 3d deer about 150 yds off the road. everyone thought it was a robo deer because a wco moved in close to the area. he worked night shift at his job so he would allways be up for a bit before going to bed and he had caught a few red handed lighting the deer up shooting it sometimes multiple times wondering why it did not fall over and then supposedly turned the video into the wco. where it went to from there is hard to say.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
inthebubble said:
what ever happened to the one they wanted to donate from HPA?
Between the grants from the NRA, sportsman's clubs throughout the state, and contributions made by HPA members, a LOT was done!

The Game Commission actually matched the funds, and nearly ten thousand dollars was put into the repair of old decoys and the purchase of new decoys.

Yes, they are being run.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I would buy a copy of Poachin' Gone Buck Wild and several more copies for stocking stuffers.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
scott and stalk said:
Not sure but I would like to do it. 1.) To turn them in and 2.) To get a good laugh once they realize whats goin on.

I would watch that if it was a tv show. Could you imagine, True Life: I got caught poaching in PA
Red lights and buzzers would be goin off as soon as the decoy was shot. Poachers would have no clue what to do

1 - 20 of 33 Posts