The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to get started in archery. I don't want a compound because I feel it's too detached from archery. I like the recurve because it's still traditional but has better performance than the longbow, also the longbow is harder to come by for beginners and price. I'd like to buy a youth bow at an archery shop that I've been looking at. My draw length is 28" and I'd start with the draw weight of 35#. My only problem is that I'm 14 and have little money. I can't decide if I should start in archery or buy a .22 rifle. The youth bow is cheaper than a $220 rifle but to go deer hunting, the recurves are very expensive. Granted, a deer rifle is expensive too but I could borrow one. So, my question is should I invest in archery or marksmanship with a rifle? I would hunt once I'd reached an acceptable level of accuracy. If I get involved in archery will I outgrow my youth bow too quickly? Lastly, if I enjoy archery I was thinking I'd learn to make bows and arrows. Thank you for your time and patience.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I enjoy your excitement. You may wanna think about buying a used recurve. You could check a local proshop, ebay or archerytalk.com. They have some really good deals. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
first off check the classifieds on here,as stated above archerytalk,tradgang,stickbow and tradtalk as well as ebay.now this is my opinion 35# is great,but if you get a takedown recurve you can then purchase limbs of a heavier weight for it.check out the samick red stag takedown bow,yes it's an imported bow,but if you do some research on them alot of olympic shooters use samick.the red stag is very reasonable in price.lancaster archery is a dealer for them.maybe give them a call about it.traditional archery is great and as for you building your own bows and arrows i say go for it.i been shooting trad.for going on about 15 years,recently tried going back to a compound,it lasted 4 days and got rid of the thing. go over to the sites i mentioned above and register on them,there is a great deal of info on them and maybe even some answers to some of the things on your mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts