The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get rid of a bunch of briars on my property. They are not big thickets just a lot of scattered plants but there are more and more every year.

What is the best strategy to get rid of them?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
tanner said:
I need to get rid of a bunch of briars on my property. They are not big thickets just a lot of scattered plants but there are more and more every year.

What is the best strategy to get rid of them?
Why do you want to get rid of them?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to get rid of them because they border my backyard and I have 2 young kids that have been "stuck" in them. I have had to retrieve their toys out of them too. I am also thinking of planting some apple trees in this area. I don't own a tractor or ATV either.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Get some "Crossbow" herbicide. It does a good job on multiflora rose and autumn olive so I would think it will take out the briars along with any other broad leaf you spray it on.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Looking at the Crossbow info, it contains 2,4,D, which is an ingredient in Weed B Gone. So, maybe finding some concentrated Weed B Gone is easier for you?

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I would get a good brush blade and weedwhack them down first and remove. Then spray the shoots when they shoot back up a bit. Trouble with killing them when they are 4 feet high is that prickers and will be for year or two, on the dead plants so you still have your problem.

Suit up for a rabbit hunt, then grab the weedacker with burch blade...that is what I did several times clearing log landing areas for plots.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks RB!

It's funny you mention that because I was just looking into a blade for my weed wacker. Looks like I will WW then hit them with some herbicide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts