The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 2013 dodge ram 2500, cummins 6 speed. replaced my 2005 cummins 2500. im getting ready to put a lift kit, new tires and rims on this truck. im really thinking about going with the carli 3 inch leveling kit which comes with new progressive coils, longer swaybar end links and bilstein 5100 shocks. have read a lot of good things about this kit. for rims and tires im looking at the procomp 6001 rims and lt315 procomp extreme all terrain tires. I had the procomp lt305's on my last truck and they really wore good. got 52000 out of the first set. I just bought the bushwacker pocket style fender flares last night from autoanything and plan on having them painted the same color as the truck. anybody else lift there 3/4 ton truck with 35's? if so what kit did you use and post some pics. I will post pics towards spring when all completed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used a 2.5 Daystar specer kit to level mt "09 3500. It took the rake out of the front end and truck sits level. They say you don't need to change the shocks but do you will thank your self later I tow a heavy horse trailor(~9,500 empty) and the truck still sits ok. It does not look like your overloaded or have the headlights pointed towards the moon.
On a side not be careful when taking the springs out even with the suspension hanging the springs still had pressure on them. I need a spring compressore ot get them out and back in. One slipped off and smashed my thumb up.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i know you guys both have Mopars but I leveled my Ford 1 ton with a leveling kit exactly like the one that Win MAg is talking about. just spacers for the front springs and slightly longer shocks etc. the kit I used is a 2.5" leveling kit and it's nice b/c it kinda keeps the stock ride quality. my headlights didn't even need adjusting and it more or less just took the rake out. I tow a 9000 (+/-) travel trailer and it squats just a little when you hook it up but the weight distributing hitch kinda makes it all work well. I could prolly benefit from some air bags when I tow heavier stuff but that's so seldom it's not really worth it. here's a pic (not the best picture b/c my driveway isn't flat,) of the truck with the leveling kit installed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Something to consider:

MOPAR makes lift and leveling kits that can be instlled at the dealer. By them lifting your truck it won't void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
curious hillbilly what part of my warranty would be void if the dealer did not install my lift. I understand they are not going to replace a broke aftermarket shock or any component of any of the lift products. but how would the rest of my warranty be void? I can find no info about warranty being void from installing a lift kit

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lift is going on next month. having jack Williams in Kingston do it. went with the carli starter kit, carli adjustable trac bar, fuel krank wheels and toyo open country at's 35x12,50 cant wait.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
338/378wm said:
curious hillbilly what part of my warranty would be void if the dealer did not install my lift. I understand they are not going to replace a broke aftermarket shock or any component of any of the lift products. but how would the rest of my warranty be void? I can find no info about warranty being void from installing a lift kit
Not sure about Dodge I just got a new Chevy and they said unless they installed it every part of my warranty expired. At 5k miles I was coming down a mountain and got a unreal wobble like it needed brakes and rotors. They changed them out and it already needed a 1 piece wheel bearing at over $300 and the truck never seen mud or snow at the time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Alpine,

The way it was explained to me was that every item that is either attached or makes another component operate in a different capacity other than the original factory settings would not be covered.
The example that I was given, if the drive shaft goes out and in turn cause damage to the rear end it would not be covered. Because the having the lift would produce more stress on that component than what it was originally designed for. I tried to call his bluff and he had me speak with the service manager and he echo’d those words…Different scenario though. Is it true? In my mind I can see the logic behind it. I also didn’t want to take the chance. This was MOPAR and they lift a lot of Jeeps, I’d like to think that I didn’t get taken. However, If I did get taken it worked out for me cause I was able to roll that lift kit, tires and rims into the financing of my truck.

Chevy and Ford maybe different?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My nephew lifted his new Chevy and it no longer is covered, he is a boss in the coal mine and he only spends on his truck so I guess he didn't care. I lifted a 79 ford in 81 and after awhile it drove and rode terrible, at old age I like them handling like a car,.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alpine, Hillbilly not trying to raise any waves with you but do some checking on the warranty coverage. there are laws on the books that dealerships cannot deny you warranty service unless they can prove the aftermarket part caused the failure of another part. i found a ton of information on just typing in "will my warranty be affected if i lift my truck" on the internet. i guess every dealership is different on how they will deal with a warranty covered part if you modified the vehicle. i dont expect them to replace a bilstein shock i had installed and it broke. i do expect them to cover my whole powertrain while the warranty is in effect. how could a dealership not cover your power window not working because you lifted the truck. like i said there are laws on the book that states the burden is on the dealer to prove the affected part has to be attributed what you added.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have had my dodge in for the different recalls and warenty work,on the front end and never had an isssue, but I'm in TX. In fact some dealer ships have a partner ship with some of the off raod shops. So when you get your truck and want it lifted and you got to one of the shops you get a discount.

·
Registered
968 Posts
338 you are correct there are laws on the books I used to know the numbers but have forgotten them. It is illegal for a dealer to void any part of your warranty due to aftermarket parts unless they can prove that the aftermarket parts caused the original parts to fail prematurely. These are federal DOT laws.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I just got done chatting with a guy at Rough country lifts, he was explicit that even if I did the install, as long as it was done correctly, putting the suspension lift on, would not affect the warranty.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
High Cal puts them in brand new trucks for local dealers. Does not void warranty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts