The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 61yrs old.Older than some and not as old as others.I liked hunting and trapping ever since I can remember.Loved reading PA Game news in the ele.school library.Subscribed to Fur-Fish-Game in my pre teen years.Hunted every chance I had.Even hunted on my wedding day in 1978 and got a rabbit that morning.Took guns along and shot at the range near Waterville Pa where we honeymooned.Every day of every season I hunted regardless of weather.Took the Beagle out for Pheasants in thunder storms.Soaked and froze many times but loved it.
Fast forward to the mid 50's and knees started to go.Slowed down but still going.Hit 60 and had knee replacement.Last year was better than the last few but this year is going to be mostly a sit out and listen to the stories.Beginning of the small game started with frequent stops to go and slight blood.Urology, Dr's,and Urengent care said Kidney stone,don't worry they will pass.Ended up with 5 in the bladder that have to get blasted but they can't do it till mid Jan.Tried going hunting on Wed. and those stones tore up my bladder so small game is out for the rest of this season.Might try deer hunting a day or 2 as I know a spot I can go that is 100yds from the truck.Muzzleloader season might be a bust.
I never thought I'd get to this point in life so quick but I have no regrets on the hours at work I turned down to hunt.I HAVE BEEN TRULEY BLESSED with a full life !
To the younger guys do it as much and as long as you can because before you know it,you are here.I hear and know older guys that say "I wish I would have done more . . . . .".Don't be one of them and enjoy the outdoors while you can !

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
Right ahead of you and feeling you Bro. I retired at 58 and thought I had all the time in the world left. Now 69 with emphysema, a heart attack with two stents, now cancer. Bout all I can handle is stand hunts where I can get to the stand with a machine and I don't have a place like that here at home. Still doing guided stand hunts but everything got scrapped this year while I deal with cancer radiation treatments. Hope next year is better for us both. Young guys... do it while you can, don't put anything off, you can't know the future.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm 71, killed a buck in archery, was by myself. It's been quit a few years since I got one and I didn't realize how much strength I have lost over the years. I struggled gutting the deer and I thought I could drag it out. I soon found out that was not going to happen. I was lucky one of the neighbors was home and he got his quad and got it out for me. It took both of us to get in my vehicle also so I know I can't do that by myself either. Been hunting since 1962 so after all of this some tough decisions have to be made for next year. The aches and pains just seem to get worse every week and I just don't have that passion I once had. Enjoy your youth because once I retired 10 yrs ago the years just flew by.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Same here guys, 64 years old, Emphysema/COPD and just getting worn out! I only deer hunt where I can get it out with the ATV. Do alright on flat ground, but the hills are a killer. Do it while you can youngsters, and don't put off those "dream hunts". Before you know it you will be like us over the hill folks and won't be able to do it ;)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'll be 75 in February still bird hunting with the dogs every chance I get. Hunted Mon., Wed., Fri., and today this week, that's typical this time of year. Most of my hunting is just me and one of the dogs but I did have the company of a friend twice this week. I realize how lucky I am to be able to still hike these hills at my age without serious health issues although I do have a pacemaker that keeps my old pump going. I plan to keep doing it as long as I can, shooting for 85 at least but have no idea if it'll happen. Plan to get out tomorrow morning but the afternoon looks rainy.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I'll be 75 in February still bird hunting with the dogs every chance I get. Hunted Mon., Wed., Fri., and today this week, that's typical this time of year. Most of my hunting is just me and one of the dogs but I did have the company of a friend twice this week. I realize how lucky I am to be able to still hike these hills at my age without serious health issues although I do have a pacemaker that keeps my old pump going. I plan to keep doing it as long as I can, shooting for 85 at least but have no idea if it'll happen. Plan to get out tomorrow morning but the afternoon looks rainy.
Good luck and "keep your powder dry":)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I turn 65 on Monday the 22nd and I am still going strong . Not quit as fast but still going . Have changed some things this year , I hunt mostly from the ground and as far a tree stands it's climbers and ladder stands only. I have multiple lock/hang on and climbing sticks I will never use again . I'm getting used to hunting on the ground ,I look at it as hunting smarter not age restricted.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I turn 65 on Monday the 22nd and I am still going strong . Not quit as fast but still going . Have changed some things this year , I hunt mostly from the ground and as far a tree stands it's climbers and ladder stands only. I have multiple lock/hang on and climbing sticks I will never use again . I'm getting used to hunting on the ground ,I look at it as hunting smarter not age restricted.
AAAHHHH...to be 65 again.

·
Super Moderator
6,992 Posts
I was a little worried about getting a bear crew back together this year. I’m gonna be 64, and several others are the same age as me. I’ve had both hips replaced, but they’re as good as new now. I’m in the woods every single day, but it’s always at my pace, not a crew’s pace. We haven’t drove for bears in eight years. So we’re eight years older, didn’t know how some of us would hold up to a full day of driving. Years back I had 16 guys, and we’d average 2-3 bears on the opener.

Today, when it got light, and it was time to push, we got our game faces on. When I heard the watchers shooting, it brought a smile to my face. It felt just like the past hunts, but with a smaller gang. We relied on quads a lot to recover everyone after the drives, drove everything downhill. Hunting smarter now. We were all beat at dark, but some of us will be back at it at daybreak tomorrow.

As long as I got a pulse, I’m going.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Timing of this post is uncanny. My buddies wife tasked me and his son with keeping him out of the house today from 6 am till 4 pm. Surprise 50th birthday party to set up for. Had a trailered smoker set up to cook all day. We went pheasant hunting at Nockamixon for almost 5 hours then up to hunt and scout SGL 106 near Cabelas. Then shop Cabelas till it was time to go home. I’m at the party now , feet up and wiped out. I’ll be 64 in Jan. Passed on hunting a few fields at 106 due to leg cramps. Cant do this all day stuff anymore. Irony is my buddy said at some point today that he’s now old like me. Guess I should be glad I can almost keep up with a 50 yr old and his 21 yr old son, who both fell asleep on the ride home ! Lol

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
67.10 here. Retired @ 66. Prior to retiring had 5 weeks of vacation and seniority for quite a few years allowing me to be off for prime time hunting. Just gave up on our DIY out of state archery and gun hunts with 3 hunting partners mostly in Illinois and some in Iowa. Lugging stand, backpack, and weapon just got to be too much of a load to reach preferred hunting locations.

Fortunate to have two hunting properties near home where I can pick up most deer with an atv or call a younger relative or friend for an assist.

Only hunted from ladder stands and my climber this year. No longer feel safe hanging and climbing onto hang ons.

Started hunting at 12 years old, over the years owned a pair of English Setters in the heyday of pheasants, quail, and grouse populations. Trapped when you could actually make a few dollars. Hunted in the days when almost all private ground was open for hunting. I could go on and on but in summary I've been BLESSED with the amount of time I got to spend in the outdoors.

Body is wearing down, but fortunate I still can get out and about. Knees are my concerns now after a couple of over extensions in a couple of slips. Still hunting, but taking it easy til I have and MRI done to know if I may need surgery.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts