The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Borrowed. A TC muzzleloader and had god spark in the pan. Flint was 25 years old amd I figured I'd change it. Now the spark is horrible, even with the old flint, I've got numerous ones to try, any suggestions? I just want the spark I had. Frizen seems to be getting smooth. Any suggestions appreciated! Merry Christmas

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Are the flints sharp? When you close the frizzen and lock at half cock is the flint almost touching? Try bevel up and down in the jaws, worse case scenario is the frizzen needs carburized or replaced. Kinda late in the ballgame to be playing with that stuff, hopefully flint placement or sharpness is the cause...good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
With a tc lock the flint should be 1/16th of an inch away from the frizzen at half cock. Flint placement can be the difference between good spark and no spark

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put a new frizzen on and nearly got burned. Old one was totally shot. Any flint works great now. Hard to find TC frizzens though. Thanks all.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couldn't find one, just a tradititions and it would have been a hard modification

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ah, your first post said you borrowed a T/C flintlock, which would have directly taken the Lyman frizzen, no modifications whatsoever. Afaik the Traditions locks will not in any way take a Lyman frizzen.

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
A Lyman frizzen can be fitted to a TC lock. But care must be taken to make sure the frizzen bottom is flat against the edge of the pan as well as the edge of the frizzen being flush against the barrel flat. A gap in either place leads to prime powder falling out and/or letting moisture in.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
A Lyman frizzen can be fitted to a TC lock. But care must be taken to make sure the frizzen bottom is flat against the edge of the pan as well as the edge of the frizzen being flush against the barrel flat.
I've installed about a half dozen Lyman firzznes on TCs, each one required a minor amount of fitting to close correctly.

An old 'smith in town used to "rebuild" frizens by soldering a piece of a hacksaw blade on them.

Bill

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ju
WildBill said:
zimmerstutzen said:
A Lyman frizzen can be fitted to a TC lock. But care must be taken to make sure the frizzen bottom is flat against the edge of the pan as well as the edge of the frizzen being flush against the barrel flat.
I've installed about a half dozen Lyman firzznes on TCs, each one required a minor amount of fitting to close correctly.

An old 'smith in town used to "rebuild" frizens by soldering a piece of a hacksaw blade on them.

Bill
Just wondering what are the typical areas you have to work on to get it fit?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
The forward bottom edge of the frizzen would contact the pan early preventing it from closing all the way on the rear of the pan.

It usually doesn't take much. I use a coarse diamond stone. You may have to stone and put it on with the screw in place a few times until you get it right. Its easier if you remove the frizzen spring.

BTW, the last one I installed was on my son's Renegade about 5 or 6 years ago, no misfires spark wise since. I still have his TC frizzen laying in the shop. One of these day I going to try the hacksaw blade rebuild on it.

Bill

·
Registered
881 Posts
I tried putting a Lyman frizzen on my T/C a long time ago and it would not go right on like the original.Tried filing it to fit and ruined it.Put T/C back on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts