The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rem model 7 in 260 18.5" barrel, Im trying to squeeze every FPS I possibly can (without over pressure) I was wondering if maybe going to a faster burning powder than 4350 would help at all, anyone have any experience in this area?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I would give Benchmark a try. What fps are you getting? Also, you won't get close to book loads with the 18" barrel no matter the powder. I wouldn't sweat the fps loss when shooting a great woods rifle like the Model Seven. YMMV.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im 2400fps with 41grs of 4350, I know its a not a max load but I was worried about recoil with my girlfriend.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that helps 120gr ballistic tip. Im looking at the accurate powders, they seem to be pushing about 100fps then every thing else.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The fastest powder in a long bbl will also be the fastest in your short bbl. Your shooting a very reduced load in a short bbl right now, you know that, right? I think you could call 45 grs a safe starting load and go up... Also take a look at RL 15 OR 17 if the 4350 doesn't workout for you.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMR 4350 max load is 43 grains, while Im not at max its not what I would call a very reduced load.

·
Registered
649 Posts

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
If your accuracy is good now, and better than hotter loads that you have tried, then your wasting effort to gain 100 fps.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ghost i totally apologize. I saw the model 7 and 120 gr bt, and got it in my mind you were shooting a 7-08. I edited my post to info for the 260 rem. Here is a link that you may find useful. Scroll down the right side to the calculators. You can play with those to see the effects of different loads/cartridges on felt recoil, energy, ballistics, and calculate reduced loads. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries Grovey, I usually look at the powder manufacture web site for loading info, and while I have been known to load "hotter" than max, I always approach and load work up with extreme caution. 41gs of IMR4350, is accurate and kills deer, however my girlfriend and I are going out west this year elk hunting, and Im hoping to find a ballisticlly suitable load for her 260.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Work up a hotter load for hunting,but let her continue to practice with the milder one. Ever feel your rifle kick when shooting a buck? Me either... good luck.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are my thoughts, we've got alot of ground hog hunting to do this spring, get her used to shooting off a bipod and at longer ranges.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ghost said:
Those are my thoughts, we've got alot of ground hog hunting to do this spring, get her used to shooting off a bipod and at longer ranges.
Good idea.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a model 600 in 243 with a 18" barrel and a model 700 in 7-08 with a 20" barrel both are loaded with IMR 3031. The 243 has made many of my shooting friends believers that a short barrel can and will shoot. Look on Imr's webpage for rate burn. 3031 burns a lot faster than 4350 with that be said. Your case isn't going to near as full may affect accuracy never know till you try. To me that's what makes reloading neat.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
IMR4064 and IMR4895 both give good velocity out of short barrels because of their faster burn rates. I use Nosler Partitions and Hornady SP with those podwers in an 18-1/2" barrelled Rem.600 Mohawk and get excellent accuracy.
Using slower powders like IMR4350 gave excellent accuracy and good velocity for a short barrel but there was a lot of powder still burning outside of the barrel.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Pure [censored].... burn rate has no specific effect on velocity in shorter bbl's. Case capacity and bullet mass has way more to do with choosing the fastest powder. Fuller cases within desired pressure limits are your friend. The fastest powder for a combo will be the same reguardless of bbl length.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
grovey said:
Pure [censored].... burn rate has no specific effect on velocity in shorter bbl's. Case capacity and bullet mass has way more to do with choosing the fastest powder. Fuller cases within desired pressure limits are your friend. The fastest powder for a combo will be the same regaurdless of bbl length.
There are volumes of discussions about this but generally speaking....
Cartridges that use under 50grs of powder(like the .308 win and the ones based off of it) and are shot in barrels of 20" or less do a bit better velocity wise with faster burn rate powders because the pressure/velocity is reached quickly. With those powders the velocity reached by 20" does not significantly increase in barrels longer than that.

Cases that hold 50-75grs of powder do well with medium to slow burn rate powders in barrels that are 24"-26". Longer barrels out to 30" contribute to increased velocity. But are not the best for carrying around while hunting.

Cases that use 75-100grs of powder are most efficient in 26"-30" barrels while using powders with slow burn rates.

The rates and barrel lengths change again when the .375+ bore diameters.

Cartridge design plays into all of these situations also.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts