The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time in a long time I tug out on a 5 1/2 year old 8 point opening day of archery. Having to wait an entire year to do it again is driving me nuts. Soon be that time of year to shed hunt, make food plots (not baiting :grin2:) and start structuring a layout/game plan for some of my top hit list buck that survived.

Looking to make a few mock scrapes early this year to condition bucks to use them all through archery season.

Anyone else have success using mock scrapes early on around August-September?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I tried mock a few mock scrapes , but no luck with them. maybe I was doing something wrong or not doing something I was suppose to. good luck on your projects and hunting.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I've not hunted over mock scrapes but last year I tried the hanging vine tactics promoted by many of the YouTube experts. Since I seldom hunt the same property from year to year I set them up as an inventory tactic much like a mineral lick. I kept them along field edges and areas that deer frequent at night. Much to my surprise the deer really took to them. They did dry up in September/October, however. Probably because of their locations and changing food sources etc.. I see no reason why they wouldn't work in front of a stand if established in the right spot. I don't hunt over rubs, scrapes etc. but if you give it a whirl keep us posted. I've got several already hung on potential properties for the 2020 season. Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts