The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Tip No. BR-549

If you really want to be a good turkey hunter, leave the gun and expensive ammo at home. Call naturally with your mouth while hiding behind a falling tree. When the turkey comes in close simply reach under the log and grab it by the leg......No pellets in the body, no camo or carrying in a bag of gear/gun....
I actually did this when I was a teenager. We would go out pre-season and call birds in thinking we were Preston Pittman or Walter Parrot.
Had a group of jakes screaming at us and coming in a hurry so we ducked behind a blowdown and watched them coming under the log. One bird jumped up on the log and as another one walked by I took a swipe at his legs. Not a chance of holding on though.
I was pretty sure after that day I was the greatest turkey caller in the world.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I actually did this when I was a teenager. We would go out pre-season and call birds in thinking we were Preston Pittman or Walter Parrot.
Had a group of jakes screaming at us and coming in a hurry so we ducked behind a blowdown and watched them coming under the log. One bird jumped up on the log and as another one walked by I took a swipe at his legs. Not a chance of holding on though.
I was pretty sure after that day I was the greatest turkey caller in the world.
Years ago a friend asked me to show him how to fall hunt. I took him to some state land pre-season and, wouldn't you know it, called up a flock. Rushed them like an idiot yelling and such to break them up. Well, a few ran into a sheep fence in the process. I snatched up a jake out of the fence...he settled right down being in-hand...and didn't mind me petting him. After a bit I let him go. Impressed the crap out of the novice. Of course I didn't tell him this was a once in a lifetime endeavor!!

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Off topic but after spring turkey 1 year I went up to the gamelands near Hawk Mtn. The gamelands roads were knee high with growth. I spotted a dark object I thought was a hen in the road 100 yards away. As I got to where I saw it , there was a small explosion of birds. Mom left first, then the young yellow poults took flight. One of them waited till I was right there. It flew up at my feet and I instinctively threw my hands out and caught this little fellow like I was catching a football. Rubbed his throat and the top of his head a little and spoke to him, then let it go. One of my best experiences in the woods/fields.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ouch. I don’t shoot tss through the 12 ga. Two years ago after the season Cabelas had 3.5 12ga tss for 23.00 a box. Bought 5 boxes and robbed the **** for my 20ga loads.

That was a great sale, I think they figured it out by day 2 and shut it down.

I bought a bunch, the robbed shot was like 18.00 a lb. cheaper than the tss that dealers were selling it for.
and you had new primed hulls for other projects.

the good old days

·
Registered
121 Posts
I picked up a shotgun reloader last year and have yet to use it. Where do you like to get your components from? Are primers even available?

Not that I need another rabbit hole to venture down at the moment.
you’re not reloading tungsten, you’re loading it. Everyone I know buys primed hills and a roll crimper.Different than reloading.Your equipment won’t work

·
Premium Member
24,396 Posts
Tip No. BR-549

If you really want to be a good turkey hunter, leave the gun and expensive ammo at home. Call naturally with your mouth while hiding behind a falling tree. When the turkey comes in close simply reach under the log and grab it by the leg......No pellets in the body, no camo or carrying in a bag of gear/gun....
I know someone who sneaks up on a gobbler in full strut with the fan facing them and grabs them by the legs!

Reactions: octagon
21 - 34 of 34 Posts