The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I picked up a shotgun reloader last year and have yet to use it. Where do you like to get your components from? Are primers even available?

Not that I need another rabbit hole to venture down at the moment.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
007. I hand load each shell. Weigh every powder change, every shot load and the buffer.
Precission reloading and ballistic products have all components, circle fly has the nitro cards and overshot cards. The expensive part is the shot.

·
Registered
267 Posts
007. I hand load each shell. Weigh every powder change, every shot load and the buffer.
Precission reloading and ballistic products have all components, circle fly has the nitro cards and overshot cards. The expensive part is the shot.
If you don't mind my asking how much more cost effective is it if at all? What would you ballpark your cost per shell (i.e. obviously not including the initial equipment purchase)?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't mind my asking how much more cost effective is it if at all? What would you ballpark your cost per shell (i.e. obviously not including the initial equipment purchase)?
I would guess I have 3.50-4.00 per shell.
the big thing is my quality control. I weigh each powder charge twice, same with the shot. Two years ago I started my son loading his own. I watched him kill 4 long beards that spring, with shells he had loaded. Rewarding for me.

·
Super Moderator
14,991 Posts
Just my opinion what I surprisingly learn about turkey guns and ammo. I shot my first Spring gobbler in the the Spring of 1972. Over the next decade I took them with my Browning A 5 full choke 32" barrel and 3" mag. Winchester XX Mag. usually #5s.

I wanted to change to a quality gun without a high gloss finish and a shorter barrel so in 1996 I purchased a just released Browning A 5 bolt with interchangeable chokes so I could hunt deer in slug only states and turkey with a full choke sleeve having a perceived advantage of a polymer stocks of durability and black in color so I did not feel I had to be so protective of the stock. I was also interested in better optics so I added a Leopold 1X4 scope. I was very happy and took several more gobblers over the springs in a few states.

Then when I started reading info. in HPA and comments from guys like full fan it perked my interest in the 20 ga. In my earlier days I took a lot of ducks over a few years of hunting the flooded corn fields along the Mississippi flyway where I lived at the time and always like the 20 light and handling.

Fullfan also put me on to another forum which provided a ton of information on the 20 ga. as a quality weapon to take gobblers at the distance I prefer to shoot.

I ironically won a 20 ga. NEF youth pump, camo and the NWTF emblem embedded in the stock. I had chance of five guns but, selected the NEF because I thought it was kinda cute and I had a good supply of 12's.

So I grabbed some boxes with my lead/copper ammo from past decades and my two dependable 12's. Plus the new 20 and a couple of boxes HTL. I was surprised that my new 20 was way out performing the two 12's. at 40 yards in density, pellet count and was easily put on the point of impact with clip on sight.

I was impress and hungered for further experimentation so I purchased several chokes, several different boxes of HTL with different shot sizes and headed out to the range over a few weeks and spent a lot of time drawing circles and counting pellets to come up with patters that I am very happy with at 40 yards. I don't have the desire for long range shooting on gobbler as the fun is to call them into 20-25 yards.

If someone had told me back in the 70-80-90 and early 2000 than I would be hunting Spring gobbler with an inexpensive 20 ga, a dot sight and leaving my expensive 12's at home, I would not have believed them.

If I was younger I would endeavor in to "Rolling my own" but when it appeared the availability of of 20 ga. HTL might go scarce I purchase several boxes, plus I have several other varieties I experimented with on hand. However, I enjoy reading what others are doing taking it to the next level. On the other hand taking turkey at long range is just not for my interst.

I shoot a round at the range just before the Spring Season with hits right in there then I am ready to hunt.

If I as just starting out I would buy the expensive ammo, inexpensive durable 20 ga. experiment with some chokes a dot sight and save big bucks over the big expensive guns. Just me and my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have to agree with Born2, when TSS came on the scene it turned sub Ga guns into lethal killers. I have no less than 4 dedicated 12ga turkey guns that have become safe queens. Willing to bet that they will never hunt again. I hate to agree with my wife, she has told me I have issues. I counted my handloaded 20ga shells several days ago, I have 125 ready to hunt.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Have to agree with Born2, when TSS came on the scene it turned sub Ga guns into lethal killers. I have no less than 4 dedicated 12ga turkey guns that have become safe queens. Willing to bet that they will never hunt again. I hate to agree with my wife, she has told me I have issues. I counted my handloaded 20ga shells several days ago, I have 125 ready to hunt.
How long until you go to a .410?

·
Registered
13,430 Posts
You should try to find 2 3/4" 12 Ga rounds. I have an old Winchester 1200 12 Ga that only shoots 2 3/4" rounds. Great gun, 30 inch full barrel. I just use Remington Express 4 shot. It`s all I have. I would buy Nitro Mags if i could find them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You should try to find 2 3/4" 12 Ga rounds. I have an old Winchester 1200 12 Ga that only shoots 2 3/4" rounds. Great gun, 30 inch full barrel. I just use Remington Express 4 shot. It`s all I have. I would buy Nitro Mags if i could find them.

goggle ----foxtrot ammo

He has several TSS 2.75" payloads and I'm pretty sure he will also load low pressure loads

·
Registered
5,741 Posts

I know it's expensive, but it's worth 10x what a load of #4 will do.

169 #4 lead pellets in those 2.75 Remington loads
724 #9 TSS pellets in those 2.75 Apex loads

·
Registered
159 Posts

If you do any kind of driving during turkey season, and add up the price of gas,
several loads of TSS is not that expensive

·
Registered
135 Posts

^^ This. amazing patterns and very lethal at at surprising distances

·
Super Moderator
14,991 Posts
Tip No. BR-549

If you really want to be a good turkey hunter, leave the gun and expensive ammo at home. Call naturally with your mouth while hiding behind a falling tree. When the turkey comes in close simply reach under the log and grab it by the leg......No pellets in the body, no camo or carrying in a bag of gear/gun....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.