The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a foxpro firestorm and ive got alot of coyotes to answer with challenge howls and the coyote locator but havent got any to close the distance i was wondering if there is a certain calling sequence that works for you to bring them the next 200yrds or just to keep at it since there answering? helps appreciated Thanks!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'm no expert here....you found the dawgs.......they answer and then hang up on you...did you go into any distress calls...? Birds...rabbit or pup distress.....that's what I would have done....you did nt explain if you hunting at night or during the day....either...

·
Registered
927 Posts
Dont worry about howls man it just puts them on alert. Try and sneak in and get as close to them as possible then use a distress call for only a short time. like 30sec then stop. if there coming they will generally be on you quick. Iv tried howling and you usually get a response but they dont hardly ever come, if you want to locate them use a howl the night beforw to figure where they are hanging out then come back next night and get in reall close and make your first shot your best.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hunting at night.. and nope never went into distress calls just keep using vocalizations but will now.. for late season though do you think coyote distress sounds or prey distress would get a better response ?

·
Premium Member
24,075 Posts
Try using a coyote decoy and I don't mean a rabbit one either, they won't come if they don't see anything

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
"challenge howls"
I have interest only since I don't use a call that runs over $100. But in using an electronic call, maybe your coyote is a lot "bigger and tougher" than the coyotes answering the call. Maybe it's telling the other coyotes to stay out of his territory.
My experience with mouth and a box call is that coyotes are coming in silently for a victim.
But then, I'm short on experience with the more expensive electronic calls, and not familiar with their sequencing or their calls.

·
Banned
491 Posts
2 weeks ago, I had the same situation - howls in the not too far off, but not closing, I was using distress sounds. Then i waited a bit, switched female coyote whimper, and it came in quick. Now I dont know if they are still breeding, but it worked then... Ummm, I missed my shot, so I would take the advice to make the first one the best - lol

·
Banned
1,465 Posts
"They won't come in if they don't see anything". I guess all of the coyotes I have called in through the years must have been blind cause I never used a decoy. Sproul

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
swpa87 said:
Dont worry about howls man it just puts them on alert.
I use howls on almost all of my sets and I haven't seen where it has hurt me yet. In fact I think it calls in more coyotes than distress sounds alone.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
woodchuckkyle said:
hunting at night.. and nope never went into distress calls just keep using vocalizations but will now.. for late season though do you think coyote distress sounds or prey distress would get a better response ?
I'd go with distress sounds...you have the cover of darkness,but i don't think,i'd push them in getting closer..you spook them and the hard work is out the window..be patient...locate them..they answer setup like you'd do hunting turkeys...work'em with distress calls..if they hang up..throw some pup distress at them and get ready..200 yards is closing the gap...I won't even turn my kill light on until ,i think their close enough to pull the trigger , I also use Earth coverup scent just for an edge...some guys use it some don't but i think every little bit helps..be patient listen for them approaching and then light'em up...

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you really want to howl use a lone howl usually female version works best, thats about the only one iv ever had luck with. I usually make my howls on a 2 reed pup howler diaphragm call, its a higher pich so not to intimadate anything bit its usually just a last resort. If you get close enough to them and hit a rabbit call, as long as your wind is proper you are most likley going to see somthing. And dont do it too loud either. If im hunting somwhere that I havnt exactly located them ill use a fawn distress with pauses in between and do it constanly. Although howls dont usually hurt they can so its not my first choice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was just told by a diaphram call builder in alabama that I was running my light wrong and spooking game by shining in timber.i was seeing eyes out of shotgun range and getting barked at.He said use the dimmest light possible for scanning and shine roads and clearings.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Tape a green glow stick for fishing rod tips for a lighted site and dont even use a light with a shotty. Your eyes will adapt well enough at night to ID out to 35 yards in those small clearings.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good shogun tip anyways..... so nobodys using any howls or barks in a calling sequence just to locate and distress to finish them?

·
Registered
17,868 Posts
try downloading the sounds of a helicopter flying overhead on a foxpro and play that for a locator.

my son and i went out last night to locate some yotes and got no responses. a low flying helicopter went by and the woods across the street from us lit up with yotes.

whup whup whup whup...howwllll, yippp.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yep or just blast the foxpro coon distress, it make a pretty good crashing helicoptor noise too lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts