The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my check this morning I had 2 yotes dance all over my frozen sets. This morning in was -2 and yesterday it was 3 degrees at morning check. I am using MB550 4 coil traps bedded in peat and antifreeze and covered with dry dirt and antifreeze. I quess it is just too darn cold out here. I am quessing I should just let them go until they thaw as not to disturb as the yotes are working them. Already caught 1 at one set and have had yotes work both sets this week prior to this mornings square dance in the 2" circle. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Was there a crust over the trap and was it the dirt or snow / ice? There's no way that your dirt should've crusted if bedded like you say they are. Did you sift ANY of the dirt from the set over the dry dirt? If so, that will do it.

Otherwise, you need to use more antifreeze.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
walkercoonhunter said:
sounds as if things arent as dry as you thought they was and your trap froze down....
x2
If it was me I would dig them up and get some peat under them and get them working.If it stays this cold once you have them working they will stay working.Its when it gets warm and thaws and then freezes that causes the problems.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I set them this past thursday and the ground was saturated. So I bedded in peat but was nervous about the amount of antifreeze I had. (may have used too little) and covered with dirt I had dried in the oven back in October. (God I hope the wife never finds out!) I am thinking that the amount of anti was too little as I bedded the outside of the trap jaws with the saturated dirt and applied some antifreeze over the top of that. Again it may have been too little. It is going to stay well below freezing until next week. Think I am gonna have to bug out of work and reset this after with more peat and anti. Guess I should relure while I am at it. I quess I am doing good for my first year at yote trapping and getting back into it after 15 years but I must have forgotten some lessons from my childhood fox/water lines.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Here's what I do with all my land sets. I buy a roll of butchers paper, it is waxed on one side. I dig out a large trap bed and put down a sheet of paper several inches bigger then the trap.place trap on paper and make set with very dry dirt(I have a huge pile from when they dug our basement that I take from)The butchers paper acts as a barrier and keeps moister from the ground from leaking into your dry dirt and making it freeze when temps drop.
It should keep your sets operational for several days of freeze and thaw

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you hand pack the dirt back in around the trap real solid I would imagine? I was always of the school of keeping your trap bed as close to the size of the set trap. No worries on getting the trap bedded solid with no soft soil on the outsildes of the trap?

·
Registered
999 Posts
You can still pack the dry soil around the trap but if any moister gets to your trap it wont be firing. So by making the bed larger it takes longer for moister to leach from the sides to the trap and freezing it. It will take more time to make sets this way but there will be a better chance that you trap will work when it needs too.

Out here the temps seldom reach the mid 20 after Nov. Last week it did go above freezing a couple days in a row. my traps stayed in use because of the paper. I remade all my sets after the temps dropped just to make sure no water soaked through. The butchers paper kept the sets working and useing a larger bed helped keep the set working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts