The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was awarded my doe tag for 2f this morning. Now getting anxious for the early muzzleloader season already. Hopefully I get the .50 cal Bedford on my bench done in time. Still have an estimated 30 hours of work to do and already 2 weeks behind on target finish date (did not get to touch it for the last 2 months). Well, if it is not ready, I still have the .45 cal Bedford that was my last build that still needs blooded and the .50 cal build will be ready for late flintlock

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
goalscorer, here's a pic for you. Hopefully ready for early muzzleloader season this October. .50 cal Bedford

Have 8 inlays to do, some final incise carving to do once certain inlays are in, brown barrel and other metal parts, final polish brass, stain and finish wood, some other minor stuff, then put it all back together and head for the range then the woods. Then, order next build and start all over again

·
Registered
970 Posts
The only reason I get a doe tag is for early ML, and I carry my Lyman in firearm season as well now. I'm way behind you guys in building, but am starting to gather the tool for a build. I'd like to start one over the winter.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Its always the case, season's approaching and you're behind the 8 ball. I was in your boat back in February. Had started my 20 gauge smoothbore in the hopes of having it ready for turkey season. Got nowhere near finished by then and had to settle for the single shot hammer gun. Don't sweat it, you will have it ready one day. Don't rush it just to get finished, you'll surely make mistakes. If the gun isn't ready in time, just take the fall back weapon out and next year you'll be using the flinter.

I only recently finished my smoothie, in time for dove season, and I can't wait to try it out on pheasants this year. Better late than never.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No hurry. I have 3 more to pick from to use if this one is not ready.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after the Gunmakers Fair this past weekend, I'm motivated again to get off my butt and back on the work bench and the current rifle project. Got one of the nine inlays in last night. I'll get one done a night (takes 1-2 hours to do one). Should have the rifle done by the end of the month and hopefully on the range.

Already deciding on next project. As much as I'd like to do a Fowler, I still want to do another Bedford. This time in .36 cal in German Silver, then the Fowler. After that I've been eyeballing a Haines kit. Also been thinking of doing a western PA style caplock (being from the Pittsburgh area originally). Oh the possibilities and choices and the low balance in the "gun fund" haha. I figure after 2 more projects for myself, I may be able to part with and sell some in the future

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Getting there. Eight of the nine inlays are in. Just need to do the oval thumb piece, then can do final prep of wood for finishing.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a kit from Track of the Wolf.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Almost there. All inlays are in. Now final wood prep, take it all apart, polish brass, brown barrel and other metal parts, stain and finish wood. Put it all back together and head to the range. Once it passes range test, it will be named "Smokey II" (since I already have another .50 cal)

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I always leave my guns plain. One reason is I don't have the skill to do inlay work or fancy wood carving. The other reason is for a hunting firearm, fancy is only window dressing. I know everybody wants that pretty gun but a plain Jane will take a deer just as quickly as the fancy ones will. And best of all they come off the build table much faster.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My deer rifle for the last 15 years, a TVM early Lancaster in .54 cal, is plain. These last two builds I tried to reflect the style of Bedfords of the time. My next planned build I hope to reflect a Westmorland or Allegheny style in .36 cal (Still have not decided if it will be a flint or cap) They had a lot of inlays and in german silver. The inlays are helping me learn inletting techniques. The Haines I plan on doing in the future will probably take over as my primary deer rifle and will have no inlays and in .54 cal. I'm new at this building thing, so still enjoying learning and experimenting.

Got some stain on this evening. Plan on starting prepping metal and do the browning next weekend

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
What browning solution are you using? On my smooth bore I used Laurel Mountain forge because my gun has two soldered on tenons and I didn't want to risk loosening the tenons with a hot brown process. I must say I am disappointed in this product. It worked but came out with a much rougher looking appearance than I wanted. The PLum Brown I used on my TVM Lancaster came out much nicer.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used Laurel Mountain. I was very happy with it. Just put the barrel for this current one in my browning cabinet now. In about 3 hours or so, I will be putting the 2nd coat on. Will probably get 3 coats done tonight, then will see if I need anymore tomorrow morning.

Last time, after the 1st coat I almost freaked. Was thinking when I pulled it out of the cabinet "I wanted BROWN, not BLUE!". Then I realized it would brown after the next coat, haha. Did give me an idea about doing some rust blueing in the future since you can use it for that too.

Also got the first coat of tung oil on the stock this morning. Looking pretty nice. Happy with the stain color

This is my browning cabinet

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
finally back to work on my Christian springs rifle. the barrel is pinned, lock fitted, butt plate installed, wood patch box done and working on inletting the trigger now. hope to get them done tomorrow and get all the holes drilled and tapped this week. I would really like to have it by the early season.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Getting closer. Wood will be done soon. Two coats on now. Thinking two more coats will do it. Barrel browning is taking longer than I had hoped. Will see how it looks at the end of the day after three more cycles through the cabinet

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not a great pic, but the barrel browning is coming along. One more day and should be done. It's not as grainy as it may look in the pic

Last coat of tung oil is on the stock and will be ready to finish up tomorrow too. May be able to put it all together this weekend after everything sits for the rest of the week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.