The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the title may be a little over the top... And what I'm going to ask really has no correlation... At all..that's neither here or there. But back to the point.. I love to flintlock hunt after Christmas... And I've learned alot over the years from watching ppl and from my own mistakes. For all of the experienced guys out there.. What is the one piece of invaluable advice you would give to someone that's about to hunt flintlock season for the first time?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Keep any shooting lanes less than 100 yards. That way you wont be temped on a low probability shot.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Stick with RB,patch,and REAL blackpowder!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Make sure your flint is correctly positioned close to the frizzen(1/16"), make sure the flint is sharp, wipe the flint and frizzen pace with an alcohol wipe, clear the touch hole, and don't over-do the priming powder.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Only thing on your mind should be your target. Too many people are thinking about the flash that's going to occur eight inches from your face. Concentrate on your sights and target!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Shoot and shoot some more. After the gun is sighted in get away from the bench and shoot from different positions. Learn to shoot offhand. Its all about follow through.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like to leave my pan empty until im ready to shoot and make sure your using the best fit round for your gun I used sabots for a while then switched to maxi balls and was shocked at how much more accurate they were

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Took the flinter out today. Pan got wet walking in. I could feel what I thought was damp powder in the touchhole. Cleaned it the best I could. Waited until the deer came to prime it. It went off but the delay was the worst I've seen. Just happy it burnt and the stuff is out of it. I didn't even reload.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
BerksCoflinter said:
Make sure your flint is correctly positioned close to the frizzen(1/16"), make sure the flint is sharp, wipe the flint and frizzen pace with an alcohol wipe, clear the touch hole, and don't over-do the priming powder.
X2 on this one!

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
hightine said:
Took the flinter out today. Pan got wet walking in. I could feel what I thought was damp powder in the touchhole. Cleaned it the best I could. Waited until the deer came to prime it. It went off but the delay was the worst I've seen. Just happy it burnt and the stuff is out of it. I didn't even reload.
Did you score?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts