The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow SE Reps
Still needing to come up with a members event in our region.

The Ned Smith is good for getting our name out there and we want to continue to do that. But we'd still like to get something together for members.
Our Phila Union Soccer game idea kind of flopped - no one signed up and CREN may not be able to make himself after all.

Dennis had the idea of a shooting event at his place.
Some other ideas -

An evening at Buck Motor Sports Park

Phillies game (could also be dbl-A or Triple-A ball like the Reading Phils)

Someone also offered me a BIG idea -
How about a family style get together (like fam reunion) at a place like Muddy Run State Park. Everyone brings their own picnic lunch (grilss are available), bring some outdoor games (softball, horseshoes, etc) and there's fishing available for those who want to. Maybe even bring along outdoor-minded guests (potential memebers)

Anyway, I'd be glad to hear back from you guys what you feel we could do.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I am not in the SE, but I think a reunion type outing would be a great idea.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, this is a draft of what I could put on the General Forums -

HPA SE “Family Reunion” 2010!

Where: Muddy Run Recreational Park, 172 Bethesda Church Rd. W
Holtwood, PA 17532

When: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 2:30pm-???

All HPA members and their families and guests are welcome! This will be a family oriented fun-filled event! We will gather in one portion of the park and have a “family reunion”-style picnic. The lake is nearby (got a canoe?)

Food: Bring your picnic or tailgate, grills are available.

Activities: fishing, horseshoes, softball, volleyball, what’s your game? Or, sitting in the lounge chair trading outdoor stories!

Events: Kids fishing tournament and adult horseshoe tournament

Prizes will be awarded for biggest fish in each age group. (June 6th is a Fish For Free Day in PA - no license is required.)

Post your response below or contact one of the SE reps:

-----------------------------------------------------------

By all means, take 'pot shots' at it! Every item is fair game and nothing is "written in stone!" I would appreciate your feedback. I want to post by Friday night to catch the weekend traffic.

The only reason I put 2:30 is because that's the earliest I can get there - but if someone oould be there earlier to represent, let me know.

I didn't put Steve3748 only because I haven't heard from him on the idea. I do know some of you said you wouldn't be able to make it - but you could pass on responses you might get.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
Nice write up rabbit hope you don't mind if we steal a few idea from it for a sw gathering we are planning for same day.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
thanks we are getting it together slowly, pretty much same type of event

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What say you SE guys? Should I post it as is? Got any last minute comments?

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
sunday afternoon might make it hard for people to come with working the next day. That is my issue anyway, 2hr drive there and home won't give me much time to enjoy the day. If everyone else is OK with it, that is fine though, please don't' change it just for me, not sure I can make that weekend anyway.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I say keep it as is. I am going to ry and make it as weel. But over an hour is going to be rough

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
4c_game_chaser said:
sunday afternoon might make it hard for people to come with working the next day ... 2hr drive there and home
I hear ya Dennis. Sundays are usually family time at our house. I also have a better than 1hr drive one way.

We're gonna have to have a number of events in different geographic locations at various times. Our region is too big, with many members. One event is not gonna get to everyone. In fact I'm hoping we can enlist some guys up in the Berks Co area to have something up that way.

We'll "run it up the flagpole and see who's gonna salute it!" That's all we can do.

But don't be shy about giving constructive criticism when we float an idea - date, time, place are all up for discussion then.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had a thought -
I was wondering if you guys (SE reps + flanuva) would be willing to pass the word around those you talk with about the picnic?
Perhaps there will be a little better response if we make some personal contact. (I know some of you will not be able to make it, but could you spread the word anyway?)

So far, I've got reps:
Walt
Danny
myself

I don't believe CREN and Steve have said one way of the other? (excuse me if I missed it!)

others:
Peppy
jun1or
410-er
OSOB

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Watch this spot this week for details on meeting up!

ALso, if you think you are going to make it, but your name isn't above, please respond so we can get an idea how many.

Everyone - you will need to bring your own picnic or tailgate to this event.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I talked to Cren and he said he wouldnt be able to make it

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Is there going to be enough ppl to go? It doesnt seem like it is attracting much attention

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm seeing about 17-18 (counting families) in the ones who have responded above. I am checking with a few other guys directly.

Feel free to contact some of the guys you know from here - perhaps a personal invite would make a difference.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HERE IT IS FOLKS!!!
We've picked out a meeting place! Look for the HPA banner!
Peppy said:
Hey John....

I marked a red dot where where I think a good meeting place would be. Shade, grills, playground and fishing close by.

The people coming will need to go through the main gate, go to the stop sign and bear right towards the information center. Then go past the information center and just keep following the road to the end, park on the left and you'll see the playground. Set-up area would be directly behind the playground towards the water.

Many, many thanks to Peppy for scouting out the place for us! This is gonna be a great day! Come on out and have fun! Bring the family and friends! ... Don't forget your picnic food and lawn chairs!

P.S. you should be able to save this map to your harddrive and then print it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts