The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I find them ? Do they give you coordinates for my handheld ? I don’t wanna use my phone if possible, let me know as I know little to nothing about this but I am interested in learning ?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Really? They are out there for all the people who have noting else to do. It is an stupid game for people who have nothing better to do than run around with a GPS and find dumb things that someone stashed somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
I’ve dumbed into a couple of them by accident. People left knick knacks and do dads in a small plastic tackle box. There were also notes inside the box.

One of the caches was near an abandoned country cemetery. Folks were misjudging how far they could drive, stopping far short and were traversing two steep ravines packed with multi flora rose together to the cache. They must have gotten torn to shreds trying to get there.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Really? They are out there for all the people who have noting else to do. It is an stupid game for people who have nothing better to do than run around with a GPS and find dumb things that someone stashed somewhere.
Really? I think 20,000 posts on a forum is stupid and a waste of time.

At Full Draw, check out Geocaching.com

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woods walker did you ever find anything good ?

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I never got into it, but I wanted to learn to use GPS units so I went to a presentation at the local state park on how to use them.

The instructor had placed a geocache, and gave us each a GPS unit so that we could practice navigating to find it.

The idea is not to get valuable stuff. They just put knick knacks in there.

And if you take a knick knack from a geocache, you are supposed to replace it with one of your own.

The idea is that you get good experience using a GPS unit, plus it takes people to places in the outdoors that they might not go otherwise.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It seems to me that there are fewer people using Huntingpa forums the last year or so. I wonder if it's because when a person like the OP asks a legitimate question there is always someone who has to give a condescending reply. I will never understand why some people feel they have to reply to every post. My opinion is that if you don't have anything helpful to say move on to another post. Don't feel you need to reply to every post and every topic. No one can be an expert on every subject, even though they may think they are.

To answer the OP, yes they give you the coordinates. I have tried it a few times in the past, but not recently. It helps you to learn your gps, gets you off the couch (or from in front of your computer posting on huntingpa) and into the outdoors. Some of the locations are in places like old cemeteries, or historic locations, etc. The geocache itself is not all that important. It's just getting outdoors because you never know what you might see while hiking around. You can combine it with mushroom hunting, scouting for hunting season or whatever else you like. Try it and good luck.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I met a geocacher the other week while out hunting small game. He could not understand why I would travel 30 miles from home to hunt. While talking found out he traveled 50 miles to the same location. I mentioned to him that its not the distance we travel to do what we enjoy but just good to be out enjoying what we do. We are both hunters, just after something different.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you don't want to use a handheld, maybe you should try letterboxing instead. It's similar to geocaching, except instead of coordinates you are provided clues and directions to the hidden boxes. letterboxing.org is a good place to start.

·
Registered
921 Posts

Stupid, I don't think so. It an EXCELLENT way to learn to use a GPS and become proficient at it. It also will take you to interesting places outdoors, that you may otherwise not even know about. A lot of the caches are in cool places. I have done Geocaching in many western states and foreign countries that I would otherwise have not explored. Kids like it and it will get them outdoors.

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
There was a geocache out in one of the Wilderness Areas in Sproul State Forest. It was at an old 100 year old splash dam on a brookie
stream. It would have been an effort for a geocacher to get there, but upon viewing the dam, it would have made it all worthwhile.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
There was a geocache out in one of the Wilderness Areas in Sproul State Forest. It was at an old 100 year old splash dam on a brookie
stream. It would have been an effort for a geocacher to get there, but upon viewing the dam, it would have made it all worthwhile.
Was that the splash dam on Eddylick Run? Or a different one?

I've been to that one. It's worth the hike for anyone interested in logging history.

I've been to the sites of numerous old splash dams, but the one on Eddylick Run is the best preserved one I've seen. It is labeled on the Sproul State Forest map, and a blazed trail goes to it.

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
Was that the splash dam on Eddylick Run? Or a different one?

I've been to that one. It's worth the hike for anyone interested in logging history.

I've been to the sites of numerous old splash dams, but the one on Eddylick Run is the best preserved one I've seen. It is labeled on the Sproul State Forest map, and a blazed trail goes to it.
Yes it was on Eddy. Spent many days out there. Still fish it every May.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have found 2 geocache in Chapmans dam area, I don't even own a GPS, was stump shooting my way back to camp while deer huntin. Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts