The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded my old generator to a 5 kw with 7 kw surge. Installing a transfer switch as well. I want to put a duel fuel setup on it for gas and propane. My question is the size of the propane bottle. The longest ive been without power was 5 days. Im on a dead end street with 9 houses. If the fuse link on the pole feeding our street pops we are the absolute last to get power due to numbers if customers. Can any one tell me the size of the tank that would give me 5-6 days worth of gas assuming a 50-60% load? Also looking into getting natural gas to house but PECO usually wants you to change over appliances to gas for a pipeline install.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I think it is a 200 or 250 pound tank. Neighbor up at camp had electric and a generator like you see advertised on tv. Not sure how long it ran on a tank of propane . check with your local propane dealer , they should be able help you out. good luck.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Most I see have dual 100# bottles. I've been told that you need the dual tanks, to create enough pressure for the generator. Apparently, once your 100# bottle gets down to 40% or so, there isn't enough pressure?
Not 100% sure, but that's what I see with guys who have smaller generators around here. Always two 100# tanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts