The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying I have seen the changes in PA deer hunting first hand in the eastern part of the state since my start in the mid 1970's before I ask this question.

Is there a generation of hunters (in certain areas of the state) who got used to a time when deer hunting was too easy?

I ask this question because I started out hunting at a time and in a location on public land where I would routinely see 50+ deer on opening morning and it was unusual not to be dragging out a buck by 10AM. I know that alot of hunters liked this type of hunting (I certainly didn't complain) but I wonder if this actually spoiled alot of hunters to the point that they just can't handle the reality of a change.

I do realize the deer numbers have been decimated in some areas to the point where I have had to change WMU's to see deer. That's just a reality I had to swallow or give up the sport.

The reality is that now the deer hunting in PA is just that, hunting. No guaranteed buck, no constant stream of deer, but maybe more of a chance at taking a deer in better physical condition (bigger, fatter, heavier) and a slightly better chance of a whopper walking by? Is that so hard to swallow?

Am I wrong on this?

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
I have not hit 40 yet but from my observations I think that we are spoiled with big racks, (myself included), and a little more deprived with over all deer numbers.
I am fine with that, but I still think they need to cut back on the doe harvest in some areas. Seeing deer helps keep kids intersted. Not hunting for a week and not seeing anything but having an opportunity at a giant buck.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
go look at the harvest records and you'll see a true picture of deer huntings progression here. in the 60's, it was unusual to hear a shot or see a hunter around here the first day of buck, or doe. in the 70's it got better, shooting about like your average rap concert. in the 80's, it got crowded and the shooting sounded like a gang war. in the 90's it got more crowded, and it sounded like ww2. now, it's not as crowded, and the shootings about like a typical nite in philly.

if you started hunting here in the late 80's or 90's, you had no concept of few deer. you didn't think about driving hours just to find decent hunting like our fathers & grandfathers did.

so, i won't say we have/had a generation of spoiled hunters, but a generation of hunters who knew nothing about a county with yearly buck harvests in the low hundreds.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Tidewaterguide said:
Let me preface this by saying I have seen the changes in PA deer hunting first hand in the eastern part of the state since my start in the mid 1970's before I ask this question.

Is there a generation of hunters (in certain areas of the state) who got used to a time when deer hunting was too easy?

I ask this question because I started out hunting at a time and in a location on public land where I would routinely see 50+ deer on opening morning and it was unusual not to be dragging out a buck by 10AM. I know that alot of hunters liked this type of hunting (I certainly didn't complain) but I wonder if this actually spoiled alot of hunters to the point that they just can't handle the reality of a change.

I do realize the deer numbers have been decimated in some areas to the point where I have had to change WMU's to see deer. That's just a reality I had to swallow or give up the sport.

The reality is that now the deer hunting in PA is just that, hunting. No guaranteed buck, no constant stream of deer, but maybe more of a chance at taking a deer in better physical condition (bigger, fatter, heavier) and a slightly better chance of a whopper walking by? Is that so hard to swallow?

Am I wrong on this?
Unless your hunting on underhunted posted private ground....Then its still pretty easy

State land is definitely hard hunting today

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I think you are trying to apply a new-reality of life concept to hunting only. There are hunters who are lazy and hunters who work hard now, the same as there always was. In every aspect of life, everything today is "me, me,me" and "I want it and I want it now." You could take almost any aspect of life today and say people are or were spoiled.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Here we go again.......times are changing, economy is changing, I hunted a grand totals 32 hours this year. Have a family and job to worry about. Guess I'm lazy

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I started hunting in 1992. I was spoiled hunting private land. Land was sold in 2002. Been hunting crappy leases for a few years in denial. Now I've gotten over it. Hunt mostly public land and do well.

I also believe that if you only hunt deer you are missing 75% of the experiance you could be having in the woods. If only hunting in rifle season then your missing out on even more. JMHO.

·
Banned
979 Posts
Different strokes for different folks, some want to shoot the first legal buck they see others want to wait for Mr Big, some wanna to fill the freezer with does while others could care less, some don't mind traveling 4-6hrs to get to camp only to see a few deer and its fine by them while others think driving 45mins to a spot is to much...No matter what the situation or circumstances, economy, family responsibilities, kids sporting events, etc no one is alike, we are similar but very different, no matter how good or bad the hunting is throughout Pa you will never satisfy everyone, I hear people crying down here in 5C where we are saturated with deer, Stevie Wonder could get one if he tried yet some are crying there are no deer and I have friends who live in the Northern Tier where we hear there are no deer left saying they are seeing em everywhere...People just cry for the sake of crying and will never be satisfied or 100% Happy, it's human nature, grass is always greener on the other side until your on the other side...

·
Banned
100 Posts
Generation? I know quite a few instances of THREE generations hunting together. And none of them support the current failing management plan.

Am I spoiled? Maybe. Maybe in that I hunt other states and every one of them has better hunting than the areas of Pa I hunt. I have asked myself many times, why is that. Very hard to accept. What makes it even harder are the politics involved forcing us to "accept" the current conditions.

There is a very good thread on the politics down in the ar-hr forum. Very interesting.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Most of the negative people are the 60 and over group. As they age and drop out, the deer plan will be more accepted. It certainly is gaining more and more acceptance every year, to the point that I no longer know anybody personally who is not on board.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Thats rather surprising to say the least. I'm not even close to 60. I am not onboard, and I don't know anybody who is on board. And very small percentage of them are in the 60 yr age group. More 20 to 30 and some 40's. A few 60 plus.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Furtaker Ron said:
Thats rather surprising to say the least. I don't know anybody who is on board. And very small percentage of them are not in the 60 yr age group. More 20 to 30 and some 40's. A few 60 plus.
I am with you on that. I can say I do not know any one that is on board with what the pgc has done. And that includes people from 20 to 80.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
it might have alot to do with where you live and/or hunt. not too much complaining around here, but the huntings still pretty good. you're invited too, seriously.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
It also has a lot more to do with what people want to hear and what they don't want to hear and do. They don't want to hear hunt harder, hunt other places, and they certainly don't want to do it.

But those that have done that, well, you'll have to go to the Hunter's Success threads to hear from them.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Really?

So no one in the hunter success threads hunted the same effort as usual, every single one of them increased effort over the year before?
No one hunted areas they have hunted in the past?

Every one that didn't get a deer didn't hunt hard or in different areas?

I feel pretty confident that you are wrong.

·
Registered
95 Posts
People spend far more time and money and energy on hunting now.

Back in the 70's when you saw 50 dear a day, the sharpies did zero scouting, drank coffee till 7 on opening day, walked out with a half box of shells from 10 years ago, smashed an apple against the tree for scent, and sat on a stump for a couple hours.

They then slow hunted from 9 oclock on.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Furtaker Ron said:
Really?

So no one in the hunter success threads hunted the same effort as usual, every single one of them increased effort over the year before?
No one hunted areas they have hunted in the past?

Every one that didn't get a deer didn't hunt hard or in different areas?

I feel pretty confident that you are wrong.
BIG +1

1 - 20 of 56 Posts