The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have some hunting property with some corn and wheat fields. Always see geese fly over top the fields. I wanted to maybe try hunting them next year. Can anyone give me a little info on what I need to get started like decoys, blinds, etc. Thank you

·
Registered
278 Posts
Decoys Id say 3+ dozen plus to start depending on ur budget... we have 13 dozen its all about what you can afford haha as far as blinds go I'd say if ur looking for a low profile blind I'd say a power hunter... if ur looking for a comfortable blind I'd go finisher

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
there are a TON of choices in blinds. pick one that suits your budget. As far as decoys on a traffic field id say go with the best decoys you can afford. just remember guys still kill geese over half tires and wooden silos that are hand painted...but i really dont recommend, id say try the GHG "hot buys" they are shells. buy as many as you can. a flag is important to me and my "crew" as it will draw attention to your spread possibly bringing geese that would have flown right by you a better look(adds a little realism) always make sure you have a pocket in your spread so the birds have a place to want to land. some guys let em land and others bust them right before they land (thats how we do it) just dont be shooting at any bird that flys by or your possible good traffic field will become "toxic" to most local geese and they will encourage migrators to stay away too. the best thing for you is to watch this forum, talk to other reputable guys who know their stuff and even try and tag along with another fowler and see how they do things. just dont be a skybuster just because things are slow or tough. good luck! scouting is the key to waterfowling success. be where the birds are.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Stop now, son ....... this sport is addictive and COSTLY!

Run, .... while you can still run away.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I say buy the best stuff. If you can only buy 1 doz Bigfoot decoys rather buying 3 dozen cheap shells, then buy the BF. If you buy the best then all you have to do is build on that. If you buy the cheap stuff you will wind up trying to sell it all to buy better and you will lose money on the deal. If you buy the best stuff and then you decide you no longer want to do it the good stuff will be easier to unload and not loose alot on it. You can kill alot of birds over 1 dozen high quality decoys. Good Luck.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I second what REDLAB said. Buy high quality dekes from the start, then build off of that. You cannot go wrong with bigfoots. In my opinion, they're one of the best looking decoys out there, they're indestructible(had one blow out of the back of the truck last year and it didn't even leave a mark), and they're reasonably priced for a fullbody decoy. as for a blind, I'd go with an Avery Power Hunter. They are fairly comfortable, reasonably priced, easy to hide, and you can easily keep an eye on the birds through the big, mesh flip top. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You can definitely save some money by going with a used blind in good condition.

While having realistic decoys is important, quality shells and silo's are still effective goose killers and can add volume to your spread for less cost. If you're not on the X, spread size can be the difference between shooting geese and watching geese fly by.

I started out with 2 dozen GHG prograde shells(flocked heads only). Then began adding full bodies half dozen at a time.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Full bodies are great, but shells work good, too. Know this going into buying ful bodies .... You need to get them to and from the field. I only have a mid size SUV vehicle. Take into account that I also have a 15 year old son that hunts with me. That equals everything that it takes to hunt geese means TIMES 2 of everything. 2 guns, 2 jackets, 2 blind bags, 2 isulated pairs of bibs, etc.... See where this going ....... Full bodies take a large vehicle or trailer to transport all tour stuff. I can put 2 dozen shells in one mesh decoy bag.

Good luck.

·
Registered
618 Posts
MosinRob, you really ought to try to get some hunting in this year while the geese are all over the place. I don't know where you live, but there are guys on here with all the equipment and plenty of experience. Put the invite out and let somebody else bring all of their equipment and experience. Try it out before you go and spend a bunch of $$$. Even if you bought decoys and a blind, next year will result in you being frustrated with set-ups, hiding, and calling.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Buy a blind with barn doors, not a hood like the power hunter. If some land behind you or you get a cripple, you have to get up on your knees and shoot over the reversed trap door of a power hunter. Look for a blind that is easily transportable as well. My buddies have blinds that can't be takken down easily without pulling pins and removing braces. That stinks.

I have FB's, shells and silo's. Unless I'm hunting a high pressure area, I'll take the silo's every time and kill geese. They lost some appeal 10 years ago, but now that they're not everywhere, they seem to work just fine. Even if it is a high pressure area, they make excellent fill and I can carry several dozen into the field at once. FB's are bulky, a huge investment and a PITA to haul.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
you might as well go get a loan now. Like Weimer said, It is addictive and you will want to keep buying more and more and more. go get em...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
As far as blinds go.. I'd go to a cabelas or somewhere and lay in some and see what comfortable actually is.. I've hunted out of power hunters my fair share, and unless you're married to a chiropractor, there are better blinds out there.. Tough thing about blinds is the ones with more of a frame hold the stubble better.. While yes the power hunter is low-profile, the hood sticks up a good bit, and stubble doesn't stay in well.. The same thing goes for the fabric. The heavier denier fabric will hold the stubble better as well.. Basically everyone I hunt with uses the final approach x-land'r.. Unfortunately they don't make it anymore but it's a comfortable blind, holds the stubble well, and has a decent amount of room... You're gonna get a bunch of reccomendations as far as a blind goes, but you won't know what you like until you lay in one to see..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts