The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get out a whole lot more than a few weeks of archery as I'm primarily a trapper so I haven't perfected the system of getting all my crap including my bow to the top one way or another. I'm not a gear nut that brings everything but the kitchen sink, but there are a couple things I put in a bag (knife, wallet w/ liscence, keys, winter hat, etc.). I definately figured I couldn't operate inside a climber stand while wearing a backpack so I ditched that idea. I went with this small bag and clipped it to the bottom of my platform piece to my stand. It got pulled up as my platform went up as I climbed. This got annoying and even unsafe at times. In addition to the basic stuff, my bow has been getting pulled up with some cord on a large old fishing line spool and then put into said bag. Does anyone have any better systems or suggestions? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21,018 Posts
I don't take a lot of stuff with me but everything I take fit's into a Cabelas bowhunter vest.For hauling my bow up,I use a strapper retriever.It's light but a little bulky but what I like is,it never tangles.I just clip it to the seat portion of mys stand

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I never leave home without my backpack and I carry a lot of stuff. Most of the time I am hunting all day and if your not comfortable your probably going home early. I strap my back pack to my climber with two bungies and I carry two forty foot nylon cords. I tie both off to my treestand, one for my back pack and the other is for my bow. The key is to never wind it up when you put it away or it will tangle, just grab about 2 feet at a time with one hand and just fold it up in the other. Also the type of braiding you buy has a lot to do with it twisting up on you.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I wear my backpack when I use my climber. Been doing it that way for 20 years. I just hang the pack on my stand and secure it with a bungee cord on the way in, get the the tree, get the stand ready, put the pack on my back, and climb. I have a 30-35 foot piece of paracord with a carabiner on each end. Clip one end to the stand, other to my bow, and up I go. When I'm climbing in the dark, I know I'm high enough when I reach the end of the rope. Pull up the bow, unhook it, clip the carabiner to the stand, and let the cord hang til it's time to get down. Doesn't get tangled, and it's out of the way.

·
Registered
21,018 Posts
I wear my backpack when I use my climber. Been doing it that way for 20 years. I just hang the pack on my stand and secure it with a bungee cord on the way in, get the the tree, get the stand ready, put the pack on my back, and climb.Then I get my foot stuck in the stand,fall backwards and hang upside down until someone hears my screams for help lol.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
When I use a tree stand I have two ropes one for the bow and one for the back pack. I use clothes line rope or paracord and put two a D ring on each end. It weighs next to nothing. I dont like to climb with anything that could knock me off balance. All of my ladders and climber have arm rests or a rail. I tie the loop on my back pack to the arm rest or side of the rail. The keeps everything out of the way yet still accessible.

For my climber I carry the rope in and out with me and attach it to the top of my stand before I climb. For my ladder stands I attach the ropes to the top section and let them hand as long as they are off the ground. I do this so that I dont have to deal with climbing a ladder with ropes in my hand that could tangle and lead to a fall. I do not leave my ropes out all the time. Only when I will be hunting a stand frequently.

·
Registered
436 Posts
+1 for using a backpack with climber, have for 25+ years. when i was younger i'd have two ropes for bow and pack for safety, but since i hit adulthood, just climb with pack on my back. the pull rope for bow also doubles to throw over branches and snap/saw for shooting lanes.

whats in my pack? thats a thread within itself. everyone has their own preferences and you'll make one as you go. what i had 25 years ago certainly isnt what i have now; you'll learn what you do and dont need, for you, as really thats what it comes down to- what works for you.

dont be afraid to practice in the backyard too. dont need to anymore, but again when younger, going thru all the motions in the backyard- along with shooting out of it a little- would be beneficial. shooting out of a climber is a little different from on the ground, or off a porch, or any other practice setup. you'll want to get things down a bit before the season ramps up. if there's one bit of suggestion i can give for bowhunting, is get your instincts down for all your shooting motions. when that buck comes in, i about go braindead, still to this day and i've shot more than a couple, and what lets it happen is having repetitive motions down so there's less thinking when he comes in. i need to be looking for shooting lanes and watching body language, not trying to remember proper form when shooting...

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
dce said:
I wear my backpack when I use my climber. Been doing it that way for 20 years. I just hang the pack on my stand and secure it with a bungee cord on the way in, get the the tree, get the stand ready, put the pack on my back, and climb.Then I get my foot stuck in the stand,fall backwards and hang upside down until someone hears my screams for help lol.
Wellllll, that may have happened, that one time, way back when, lol. You'd be surprised how fast a pack will fly off when the slack comes out of your leg and you whip upside down pinned against the tree. Ever since that day, the cell phone goes in a chest pocket, and not in the pack!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a 24' retractable dog leash for a bow hoist. I bought it at Harbor Freight for $7. I use velcro straps to attach it to the stand and the cord retracts as you pull your bow up and when you climb down.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I carry a small backpack with knife,drag rope,binos,ID,drink bottle,snacks,etc. I haul it up on the same cord as my bow. I also carry in my pocket, a strap that goes around the tree with 3 hooks on it,for hanging stuff.The first thing I do after climbing the tree and securing the stand,is tighten the strap around the tree around head level. Then I pull up my pack and bow,and hang the pack on one of the hooks,and the bow on another.I usually leave one side of the pack partially open so I can just reach in and grab whatever I need out of it,without zipping and unzipping it. Then I wrap my haul cord around one of the arms of the climber,so it's not hanging down to ground level.The cord probably holds more human scent than any other piece of equipment. Once I get everything organized,I take my bow off the hanger and lay it across the front rail,while I sit and wait.

Bob

·
Registered
573 Posts
Look at the BowBat XL. It works well if you're not hiking a long distance or in rough terrain. I carry my cellphone, knife, and spare screw-in tree step in my chest pocket for easy access. I also carry a spare release and a carabiner in my bag. Two things that if you forget will end a hunt quickly.

I also take along a pen, zip ties, and a spare flashlight. My binos are strapped on my front.

After that it really depends on how long you're sitting. The longer the sit the more gear I carry like water, snacks, soup, and heat packs.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Most of the time I wear a large fanny pack, but spin it around to my front (belly pack, lol), throw my treestand on my back and go. Everything in my fanny pack is easily accessible and it's easy to climb with.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I'm thinking this is not that complicated. I carry my bow (now crossbow) in. When I get to my tree, I attach them both to the bottom end of a single hoist rope with a clip, and attach the top end of the hoist rope to the climbing rail of my stand (a Summit Viper) with the other rope clip. I climb the tree, set up my seat, sit down, hoist my pack and bow up, lay the bow across my rail, tie my pack back to the hoist rope about a foot or so below where I have it clipped to the rail, stuff the excess rope into the top of my pack and just let the pack hang from my rail. That way, it puts some weight on the rail, which snugs it up to the tree and my pack is a arms length away. The worst problems I've had are getting my detachable quiver caught on the platform and knocking it off (real bummer of course)or fouling up my knot when tying my pack back to the hoist rope just below the rail (sickening sound of your pack dropping 25 feet to the ground.) But I've gotten this down to a science and I can do it in the dark.

Reading back over this, maybe it is a bit complicated. LOL

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
The reason I like two cords one for my pack and one for my bow is the weight of my pack. If I am hunting all day my pack weighs a ton with clothes, food, water, and stuff. I would have to spend more time in the gym if I tried to pull both up at the same time.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I use a fanny pack that I strap onto the top rail when climbing. The only problem is that it doesn't help with extra clothes. I tie an extra jacket onto the top rail but that just takes extra time before I can start climbing. I may try a backpack as the weather gets colder. I have an archery vest too, but it makes me sweat more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts