The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Game Commission has hired a Outreach Coordinator. Ok, what the heck is that? More important, why is it important?

Well, lets start with the person. She is Julie Imes, Outreach Coordinator. A Perry County Native, she graduated from PSU in 2005 with a B.S. in Animal Sciences. She returned for a teaching certificate a year later and is certified to teach agriculture, biology, and general science. Julie is an avid archery hunter and fisherman who grew up enjoying these activities with her father.

She was hired by the Game Commission in February 2010.

From what I was handed Monday morning, she has been very busy. Julie was given the task to develop a youth hunting "guide" for those starting young hunters and clubs and organizations having a youth hunting event.

Initially focused on the new youth rabbit hunting season, it quickly became evident that the guide could be a comprehensive guide for those looking for tips on starting new hunters, or for clubs wanting to hold youth hunting events. The guide and the idea's within it, can also be used to help a parent or other adult make the first outings an enjoyable experience. It is also adaptable for the beginner adult new hunter.

Did she ever deliver!

The guide: Pennsylvania Game Commission Youth Hunt Planning Guide, is a 37 page booklet with a wealth of information. Though laid out and detailed more for a club or organization, everything is adaptable for one on one beginner hunters as well.

There are ten sections in the guide:

Overview and Introduction

Frequently asked questions

Planning your event

Suggested committee assignments

Sample timeline

General event planning and considerations

Prevent snags

Pre- and post hunt activities

Evaluating your success

Forms

There are twelve forms. These forms, are check lists, notifications for the Game Commission, schools, and parents, registration forms, planning forms and sponsor sample letters. That is a short list. There is more.

Basically, a group can take this guide and set a time line for a event and follow along to ensure all details are covered.

For the one on one hunting event, some things will not apply. However, using some of the ideas and the considerations, especially where kids are concerned, a much more enjoyable hunt will occur.

Julie isn't done yet. She is responsible for recruitment, retention, and reactivation of PA hunters. She will also be coordinating PA’s National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP), and will be focusing on how to get those kids from shooting international-style target archery to hunting. Partners are UBP (United Bowhunters of PA) and ATA (Archery Trade Assoc). She will seek to build these youth archery programs throughout the commonwealth.

Some other ideas being discussed are to hold workshops for sportsman’s organizations and other relevant groups regarding National Shooting Sports Foundation’s (NSSF)"Best Management Practices for Recruitment and Retention". Maybe some sort of mentoring program that might end up looking like a "how-to" workshop for sportsman’s organizations.

The Youth Hunt Planning Guide will be on-line through the Game Commission web-site (no link yet link since the guide is still in draft form). All the forms in will also be available in electronic version and species-specific "fact sheets" (i.e. how to tailor the hunt to squirrels, rabbits, waterfowl, upland birds, etc.) will also be available. Of course, a hard copy of the guide will also be available in the near future.

Take it from me. The guide is impressive in what it covers and easy of use. Detailed but not complicated or overly long. I wish Julie all the best in her position, and much more success in her mission!

For more information, contact:

Julie S. Imes, Outreach Coordinator

Pennsylvania Game Commission

2001 Elmerton Avenue

Harrisburg, PA 17110-9797

(717)787-4250 ext. 3327

FAX: (717)772-0542

[email protected]

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Maybe a 37 page pamphlet explaining their deer program would be a better idea? They did one in the 1930's, why not now?

OR, how about if they would have a monthly column in the Game News done by land managers, biologists, etc??

The PGC is poor at getting it's message out and their magazine could be better utilized.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey all - no sales job here. The guide is a winner for helping to get kids hunting. Actually, it can be adapted for about any activity kid related - a youth hunt, gun safety classes, a youth range day, a youth marksmanship field day, trapping classes - you name it.

This guide has all the information needed to properly plan an event. It really does take out the - "oops" missed that stuff that always seems to happen when planing and setting up this kind of stuff. Even better, it is easy to use, clear, concise, and easy to follow along with.

This is going to be a must have document for sportsmen's clubs doing anything with and for kids. It should really simplify the time and effort needed to plan and pull off a event for the kids... or even for a general event for all ages.

As it is rolled out I will be letting everyone know about it again.

For what it is worth - I was real excited about the guide when I read it. So I give it the Bluetick big

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dutch, I understand your view point. There is a lot out there now, but I agree, more would be nice.

The thing is, the GC has lots of issues on the plate. Hunter recruitment and retention is one of them. This guide addresses this issue.

I will never disagree that deer are not the main focus of the hunters in this state. Nor will i disagree that the deer program and everything surrounding it drives a large portion of dissatisfaction among hunters - legitimate or not. The fact remains, we need to get out youth out there in the woods and on the ranges.

This guide works to do just that.

So please, one and all - lets not make this a deer no deer thread. If you feel the need, please visit one of the multitude of threads dedicated to that topic.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Good luck Julie

But I thought money was tight and now we have another position to finance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dutch, the GC has a DVD available which explains the deer program and has been explaining and re-explaining it for years now. Unfortunately, it seems that you just want to (complain). I say good luck to this young lady in her position as she clearly has an uphill battle when the second posting here is another (complaint).

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Geez, I get hammered for being a PGC cheerleader and now, I get hammered for "complaining". LOL

Maybe this young lady will be our next PGC Information and Education bureau chief????

·
Super Moderator
4,589 Posts
I'm glad they got someone like her onboard.The future of hunting may depend on people like her.Hunting is bigger than you or I.I see so much selfishness on here when hunting is a sport to be shared among family and friends.If I died today I'm sure my son would look back on our past hunts together.Time well spent.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Thanks for the info BT. I am also going to send Julie an email.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Boy now there is one job I WOULD LOVE TO WAKE UP TO EVERY MORNING...best of luck Julie!!!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
This document is now available on the PGC web site under Education.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts