The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question about shooting sticks??? What might someone use who has a hurt left shoulder when they are right handed to keep the barrel elevated on say a 60 inch gun @ 9 pounds?Not off the store shelf but something from the woods?

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
Dog wood is usually straight with lots of good "y"s for elevation. I had a piece of ash with a hickory dowl and holes drilled down the ash so I could change the elevation.

My buddy who hunts Africa told me that they carry two pieces of iron wood or bamboo tied with a lanyard to make a pair of shooting sticks. Says that African hunters have been doing that for more than 100 years.

GBJ

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
hey Bunky. I have a lot of dogwood and ash on my ground here, and you don't have to go through greenbriars to get at it! Won't work out of my treestand that you missed from though.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hey GBJ---thanks---great idea----I have a very dense section of bamboo near me, so cutting a few pieces will be easy enough!! They grow nice and straight too. I think I just might have a spare piec of black walnut drying in the shed that has/had a nice Y at the top but was planning on using it for propping up the front of the diamond shelter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts