The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to own a large gay hound. It was my best dog with lots of hunt and always found a rabbit on its own. I can't say that it had tight line control, but it was fast and never lost a rabbit. Does anyone know of any reputable breeders of gay hounds?

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Wait what? this is an actual bread of dog? Now I have some googling to do.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
The video has nothing to do with what I said about having too much hunt for some to handle. The video is the one I found where you can see the dog. I don't like the large pack runs of any line or breed. Most dogs in a large pack are followers and not hunters.

Now when I looked up Gay hounds I found some very interesting topics and discussions. Many claim they are great wind hounds and can pick a sent from inside a closed crate. Others have said they want to chase and will chase something if you don't put them in rabbits.

From everything I have read and looked up it seems they were one of the top lines going at one time. Maybe not fast but fast is something mainly for trials and not field anyway. Waugh!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I had one 25 years ago. By far the best beagle I ever was in the woods with. At that time there was a man in Shamokin who raised them. I did a search years ago and their was someone who still line bred them. Thinking that all this time passing is a long time to line breed without outcrossing. This dog could literally run a trail and make a check on a dry stone road. He had the nose but didn't cold trail. Listened better then any beagle I ever saw. Never saw a shock collar. Naturally deer broke. A deer could jump up in front of him and he never gave one a second thought. Got hit by a car at the age of 2. I'd take one in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts