The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finding state forest roads gated that were open for deer hunting. Why? The roads are passable, I walked most of one. It is still hunting season and this one road is about 5 miles long. So, why gated while it is still hunting season?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
My guess would be with the recent rain, warm weather, bear and rifle deer season being over, they don't want it torn up with traffic. It may be reopened again when things dry up or freeze up occurs.
All road in the SF are closed to motorized traffic unless marked open, gated or not.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Alot of gates are closed at the end of rifle season, the
one I'm familiar with on SGL 36 in Bradford opens just
before bear and closes after buck.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
if you are in the tuscarora which I am sure you are justshoot they close them down because of winter. there are too many sunday drivers that go to the mountian looking for deer in their sedan and do not think nothing of it. these are the same people that also go about half the speed limit in the rain because of adverse weather conditions. some of those roads are pretty nasty depending on the season. I know the ones we hunted were to be closed december 13th. thats why we hunted them then. I know I have traveled some of the roads open for late season and the snowmobilers really pack the roads down and make it like driving on ice. even more so when the valley has nothing at all the tuscarora has ice on the roads because they never melt off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Many of these gates that are opened for bear and deer season are open just for that reason, To get people to hunt there. The WCO, State Forest Dept., whomever it may be, Wants people to hunt there. In the off season you get people abusing the roads, littering, partying. They open them so that sportsmen are able to enjoy these areas.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Around my camp some are left open thru flintlock and some close at the end of rifle and some are never opened.

A few of the ones closed at the end of rifle have red diamond markers designating them as snowmobile trails and the one I hunt is hilly enough to be problematic in deep snow even w/ 4x4.

As mentioned above the snowmobiles pack the snow into corregated ice that is also a pain to drive on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts