The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother founds these near Gibsonia, PA. A bulldozer was pushing dirt over a hill and he saw them rolling down the hill. Since there is no glacier soils there, smooth/polished round rocks are rare. Some are almost perfectly round.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Thats pretty cool in my book! If I was your bro I guess I would be looking for the dinosaur bones right there, probably worth alot more than belly rocks, LOL!

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
Correct Joe. stomach or gizzard stones from dinosaurs.
... and here I thought they were rocks "polished" by Indians of some sort. Learn something every day.

But per the images from Wikipedia and a few other sources, none of the ones pictured were round like yours.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fleroo, I like your research methodology. I would support your theory of non- gastroliths. My guess without seeing them in person would be an artifact associated with an early industrial site of sort. If 222's brother looks at the sites location on an early map of Gibsonia there was probably an old industry located there. Or fill from an early industrial site was dumped at that location. Those same rocks can be found today just outside of Uniontown, PA. on route 51 near Redstone Creek. I have some under my deck that I found when I was young and living in U-town. The site was an old enamel plant that my great grandfather worked at. I have heard that those "rocks" artifacts were used in a grinding, polishing, tumbling type of process. However, I have not researched the industries located at that site in Uniontown. I have also found some near Leesburg Virginia. One way to know for sure would be to take them to a Paleontologist at the Carnegie Museum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts