The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although this is not on a ATV I am hoping to get some advice....

I got a walk behind selfpropelled mower that runs and cuts great all be it a little time consuming, but this weekend it took a shot from somthing sharp that put a hole in the bottom of the metal gas tank. It is an old machine and a replacement tank is likely tough to find so I need advice on how to repair that. I just spent some money on putting pucture proof tires on it cause that was the problem before....now I puncture the tank...

ALso, if anyone knows how to repair a puncture on a Stihl weedwacker plastic gas tank I'd appreciate that. It fell in the shed and hit one of my tool hanging nails leaving a hole right near the fill cap....The weed wacker worked fine (duct tap over the hole), but no long term fix.

Been a tough week on the equipment...
somone up there must not want me to do property maintenance.

·
Registered
19,966 Posts
Re: Gas tank repair

I repaired a hole in my trucks gas tank using ribbon epoxy and a sheet metal screw. I ran the screw in with the threads coated with some of the epoxy and then covered the whole screw.
Sand the spot on the tank first and make sure no gas or oil is on the outside for better adherence.
Once the epoxy is cured if your looking for looks, it can be sanded and paint smacked on it.
I kept the truck for another 18 mos before I traded it back in and it held up the whole time.
You should also be able to do it on a plastic tank.
Reason for the screw was to slow the leak until the epoxy sets up, which was less then 15 minutes and for strength.

Good Luck, know what you mean about wanting to hold on to equipment that is working.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
RB I used CarGo QuickSteel epoxy putty on my lawn tractor's plastic gas tank last Spring and it works great so far. I got the advice from a friend of mine who used it on an old Suzuki atv that he couldn't find a tank for. Good Luck!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS...I am heading to the hardware store at lunch for a couple things, hopefully i can find something like that. I have both peices of equipment home as of last night, so I am anxious to get them fixed.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to my local TrueValue at lunch...told the guy my problem and he suggested " CarGo Quicksteel Tank Epoxy kit".....SOLD cause I heard it here first...

Got the kit for metal tanks to fix the mower but my guess is that it will fix my weedwacker plastic tank too, at least as good as my temp duct tape patch did.

THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that was easy
....fixed them both. Well the real test is tomorrow evening when I fill them both back up with gas and spend the evening over at the property mowing.

But I got the feeling that was a good $8 investment as I got about 75% of it left for future use, + the little temporary fix sealing pencils for in the field use.
Thanks again so gald I asked as always.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts