The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a deisel pick up. What are the pro's and cons?

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Diesel fuel is expensive, oil changes are over 100.00 a shot, duel battered to replace, they are noisy but the body will rot off the truck before the engine dies.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
It,s a no brainer,gas.All of these trucker wanna bees drivin around in a diesel thinkin they are impressin people which they aren,t.The milage is terrible,they stink,you stink every time you refuel and you pay a fortune for the diesel engine option.The only way it would be even considered practical is if you were pullin a loaded trailer on the open road up to 100,000 miles or more a year.They cost a fortune to run and maintain.Back in the 90,s when Dodge released the V10 engine the factory released a full page writing on which engine should you buy for your new 2500,3500 truck.Back then the Cummins option was about $4500 if I remember and Dodge said if you don,t drive at least 100,000 miles a year it is not cost effective and to either stay with the standard 360 or for more power go to the V10.I was goin thru this same scenerio back in 98 and decided to go with a Chevy 454 3500.That truck gets 20 MPG and will run away from a diesel.They aren,t needed at all in p/ups and then you got the winters to contend with.Go gas and you,ll be waaay better off.This is comin from a farmer.Just my .02.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
I want a new truck, but am hoping and waiting for LNG flex fuel trucks to come out.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
diesel if you haul heavy stuff more than a little, or drive alot, like 20k or more a year or if you just want it. gas if you don't need to haul all the time.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Oil changes are not $100. 12 quarts of rotella for $39 and filter for $15 in my 2011 cummins.

If you tow a lot its worth it. I don't daily drive mine but can. I get around 16 mpg.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Good old boy, that is pretty impressive mileage for a 454. I got a diesel you won't run away from.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
YZEATER said:
Oil changes are not $100. 12 quarts of rotella for $39 and filter for $15 in my 2011 cummins.

If you tow a lot its worth it. I don't daily drive mine but can. I get around 16 mpg.
Not sure I would be using cheap oil in a &50,000 vehicle
and our Ford's use 16 qts.

Another disadvantage to diesels they have a lower resale/trade in if your not keeping the truck for a long period of time.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
A lot of people use rotella.

Lower resale value? Look at used trucks, they'll have over 100k and want near $30k. I paid 40 k for mine new.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Older models balance out but selling one after 6 to 24 mos. your take bigger hit than its gas engine brother.
This is one reason I don't buy diesels except to be used for towing flatbeds with backhoes.
We turn our fleet over when they hit 50K but hold on to the diesel 350 for over 100K.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are some pretty good prices out there right now. A buddy of mine has one that I am impressed with on power and milage. He needs it tor hauling.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
YZEATER said:
Good old boy, that is pretty impressive mileage for a 454. I got a diesel you won't run away from.
Yea buddy...X-2 !!! On both counts, a 454 getting 20mpg is unheard of, and I also have a diesel that goodolboy won't run away from.

Oh, and I should add that..that is coming from someone who is a trucker...and owns several trucks...not a farmer....

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I know my milage and I know engines have been buildin them since I was a kid.I still hit the drags from time to time and have raced moto X,drag raced,pulled,etc,you name it.I care less what you think and know what my truck can do and what it will do to a stinkin diesel.Nothin is more gross and sickining to my ears than hearin a stinkin diesel with a outboard motor exhaust.Pipes suppose to make a rhythm,not sound like a sick bass boat.
I,ve won alot of bets over the years with comments made like yours but your not worth my time.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Swift said:
bobtheblacksmith said:
Depends what you use your truck for.
B I N G O
Actually, I agree 100% with both of you. Diesels are awsume when you need them, and are hands down the best option if your towing heavy or often, but not worth the investment as just a everyday driver........even though that's what I use mine for most of the time ....

·
Registered
20,880 Posts
I haul a 10k lb horse trailer every weekend,sometimes a few times a week.I've owned 6.0 liter GM 3/4 tons and duramax diesels.There is no comparison what so ever.The difference in power in huge and the difference in fuel economy is also huge.With my last 6.0 liter,I got 5.56 mpg on average when towing.I now get 15 mpg when towing and that saves me several hundred dollars a month because I put alot of miles on.The Allison transmission is also a huge benefit when towing.In fact,it's a night and day difference.Today,I wouldn't even consider driving anything except a diesel for what I need a truck for.The maintenance isn't bad either.I change my oil ever 5k miles instead of 3k and it cost me about 70 bucks if I do it myself.I change the fuel filter every other oil change and I've never had an issue.

For a daily driver that only gets used to haul small loads or a utility type trailer on occassion,I'd have a 1/2 ton.If you're using a truck on a regular basis to tow anything over 7k,a diesel is the only way to go.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts