The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about upgrading from Ace 350 to AT Pro, anybody have one?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My buddy hunts with one and does excellent with it . He likes it so much he's getting his wife one so she'll stop taking his ...

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Maybe next year Ill add this as my second one. I like my 350 so far, but I really want the ATP to hit some water areas. Besides hunting in some light rain would not hinder me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tracker said:
Thinking about upgrading from Ace 350 to AT Pro, anybody have one?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

I swing an AT Pro and my Lady has an Ace350.

I would say that she finds just as much as myself – in fact, sometimes she bests me. I can search wet sand, whereas she needs to stay in the dry sand. If it’s raining, she just covers her box with a baggie.

All that being said, it seems the biggest difference is the iron audio on the ATP. While she finds just as much goodies, without the iron audio feature on the 350, and to get those goodies, she has to dig much more junk than I dig.

Is ATP worth the price difference? – I’m still undecided on that one.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.

Longie,
Why does she need to stick to the dry sand?
What does the iron audio do?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tracker said:
Thanks for the input.

Longie,
Why does she need to stick to the dry sand?
What does the iron audio do?

The 350 goes bonkers in the wet salt sand because it has a pre-set ground balance. The ATP has an adjustable ground balance. It can either be set automatically or manually to adjust for the different levels of minerals in the soil/sand. When I’m in dry sand, the ATP usually g-balances at around 80-85. When I’m down by the surf, it g-balances around 15.

To try and describe one of the uses of iron audio – a bottle cap or a flat piece of iron will usually give off a good target tone. When turning on the iron audio, the good target tone will still be there but there will be an audible “grunt” on each side of that target when swinging over it. It’s not perfect and I still dig an occasional bottle cap, but nearly as many as she digs. Of course, sometimes it’s my fault – even though the iron audio says its junk - the tone sounds so good, I just have to dig it. But yup…….junk.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought you might be talking about the ground balance feature.
That's one thing I really liked about the Pro.

Comparing them side by side on kelleyco's website there does not appear to be much of a difference.
One thing I did notice is that the frequencies are different......AT Pro is 15 kHz and the Ace 350 is 8.25
I'm not sure what that means (the Pro goes deeper?) but I'm going by the more is better theory. LoL

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Tracker , my understanding of frequencies is that different ones are better at different metals and depths . That's why some companies have detectors that use multiple frequecies at the same time . Just my limited understanding of it .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts