The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan is to start some asparagus beds. I got 20 plants comeing so i'll start prepareing the beds as soon as the snow melts. I got two types of peppers started 15 poblanos and 12 red popper that looked interesting. I'll buy my 8 green pepper and 12 jalapenos.

i got 2 types of onion sets, red and yellow.

probobly do 5 pounds of red pontiac potatoes. we did 10 last year and i still got a bunch left.

got beans, beets, radish, lettece, cowpeas, zucs, and some butternut squash. plus who knows what else i'll see that looks interesting.

thought i'd keep it small this year

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
probably same as last year bell peppers,,,tomatoes...sweet corn taters ,,,watermelons .cantilopes zucs and neck pumpkins might try onions

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm cutting back this yr...doing small patch of potatoes, 2 tomatoes a few pepper plants 2 zucs maybe some spag. squash and peas...Thats it other than the asparagus bed but thats already in and going this should be the first good year out of it as there's no plants in there less than 3 yrs old and at last count I think I have 40. Looking forward to seeing what kind of harvest I get from them... This year I'm cutting out the corn as it takes up too much room and never produced much. Heck I can just buy it at the mennonite stand at the end of my road for less than the headache it takes to try and grow it. Other items that didn't make the list this yr are watermelons, butternut squash, birdhouse gourds, beets,spinach, onions and pumpkins.... so far the garden seems manageable but then again I haven't put the hoe to the ground yet. Who knows what I'll really end up with when the time comes. It always seems to be more than I planned for I know that much.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i'm not doing corn this year, its easy to grow but takes up alot of room which i have plenty of room but our dog likes to chew plants so i had to fence off the garden to keep him out.

let us know how your asparagus does

·
Registered
617 Posts
I got a wide variety of peppers,tomatoes, pumpkin,watermelon,cantalope,corn,and cucumbers. Might throw in a couple other things,not sure yet.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I'm looking to put in peas, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, lettuce, and carrots. I'm also building a space saving strawberry pyramid. I cut out corn, because my parents plant so much of it and it just takes up too much room in my little 16 X 20 foot garden.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You have to plant some turnips and parsnips.
Now you want a good roast or stew make it with a combo of potatoes,carrots,turnips and parsnips.
I like parsnips just as much or better than carrots.Smell pretty much the same but you can cook them longer without them going to mush.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'll be planting beets, carrots, lettuce, onions, garlic (planted last fall), tomatos, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, zuchini, beans, kohlarabi, radishes and cucumbers. I also reserved a section where I plan on putting in aspharagus. I quit planting corn two years ago, not worth it for me. I may put in some pumpkins for the kids.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, radishes, swiss chard, asparagus,onions and carrots. I need to make a better bed for the carrots this year that has some sandy soil so that they grow straight instead of curvy when they hit small rocks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
getting the seeds started this week for tomatoes, beans, cukes, lima beans and a few different types of peppers.

·
Registered
576 Posts
All sounds like the right things to plant. I'm not ready to give up on corn. MMMMMMMM From the stalk to the pot in 10 minutes. Plus for something different I got some blue potatoes coming.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts