The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

241 - 251 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
But in the other seasons it's listed as, "A minimum 250 square inches, on head, chest and back combined, visible 360 degrees." That tells me that flo orange has to be visible 360 on the person, not each specific piece of it.
That line is one of personal issue to me (having been marched out of the woods and made to walk a mile back to camp at 16 by a Warden and 2 deputies that proceeded to follow me in their truck, only to toss me a "Sport" hat as I started up the driveway, over a hat issue).
Read literally, it means that one must wear a total of 250 sq in minimum, with the sum of what's worn between the head, chest and back comprising the total.
It does not state how much must be worn in any of the 3 locations, only that it must total a minimum 250 sq inches. An orange button or logo on a non-orange hat would be good to go if the chest and back totaled 250 sq inches or more.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
your busting through pucker bushes rabbit hunting or grouse,from the neck down your in orange hard for another hunter to see from a distance. With a FO hat on now they can see the whole picture.:eek: no brainer in my eyes

·
Registered
21,016 Posts
Two years ago,my son and I were hunting pheasants on SGL 44.They open the gates for the youth season but this was a week later and they were still openMy son wanted me to drive back ,as other guys were but something told me not to,even though I almost did.I called R.S.B. and he said no,they left them open because it was being logged.We were back a few days later and the new WCO was back there talking to some guys who drove back.I don't know what the outcome was but I would have hoped that she just educated them.

·
Registered
25,593 Posts
If the gates had been open and still were - but now for logging, wouldn't have killed 'em to post a sign to that effect, my opinion?

30 years ago I was at the SGL 230 range, when a truck load of ditch chickens rolled in. They opened a gate and disappeared back into the field. Pretty quick, our WCO at the time, followed them back in there. Within minutes, two guys in the driveway started shooting just released ring necks that flew over us in the parking area.

Weeks later our WCO came out to a club meeting and asked me WTH all that shooting was out along he driveway that day? Told him guys taking advantage of the situation. He growled, asked why I didn't drive back and get him. Told him 'cause the sign said NO Vehicles Beyond This Point. He said that's the first time since he'd known me, that I'd ever actually followed any instructions.

:p

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
If the gates had been open and still were - but now for logging, wouldn't have killed 'em to post a sign to that effect, my opinion?
In reference to the roads DCE is posting about,

There are signs on the bottom gate that is open for the entire season stating that the road is open and the dates it is open. That road leads to two different parking areas where there are roads beyond those two parking areas but both are normally gated.

During the two Saturdays of the Youth Pheasant Season both roads are open to a couple other parking areas to allow the mentored hunt participants to drive in so they aren't spending the majority of their two hour hunt getting to their assigned fields and hunt area. That is all done legally with Pheasants Forever getting a Game Commission special permit for those two Saturdays. But it is only for those two Saturdays. Those two roads are closed at all other times of the year and normally gated as well as signed with "Closed to motor Vehicles" signs.

While they are actively logging any of the gates gate might be left open to accommodate log trucks but there are also signs on the gate posts that clearly state, "Closed to Motor Vehicle." If the road was still open beyond those gates they would have covered the "Closed to motor vehicles" signs.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
21,016 Posts
I read the signs and that's why I called to make sure.Could have been an easy mistake though,and many people did drive back.I have no clue if anyone was cited but it would have been a good opportunity to just educate folks.I run into that WCO multiple times every season and she always stops and talks to us and is never anything but nice and professional.She even offered to drive my dog back to my truck during the late season last year because her feet were cold.It's just an example though of how it could be pretty easy for someone to get cited when they really didn't think they were doing anything wrong.

241 - 251 of 251 Posts