The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

201 - 220 of 251 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,639 Posts
Not directed at anyone in particular....

We pay the wardens through our hunting license fees, we expect wardens to show up immediately if we call about other people breaking laws(trespassing {before this year}, poaching, spotlighting a cow, etc. Yet when we break a law we throw a fit calling the warden every name in the book, bashing the PGC as money hungry{even though they don't get the fine money},swear off buying a license anymore, etc. All for doing the job we pay them for !

As I stated way back in this thread in my 50+ years of hunting I've had a few unintentional violations.... as yet I have never been ticketed/fined for any of them. Most were fairly minor but hunting waterfowl without my license could have been very painful on my wallet. The officer gave me 24hrs. to try and find my license which I did fortunately.... I drove to the local HQ and showed him.

In any of my "situations" I would have taken the ticket and paid the fine... no matter how "petty" the officer was for writing me up.... I broke the rule - I am responsible for my actions.
Yea, but at least you didn’t give him a ride back to his truck so he could cite you.😀

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Yea, but at least you didn’t give him a ride back to his truck so he could cite you.😀
True.... we both had a 2 mile walk out and 2/3rds of that was through water.... or you could zig zag the deer trails and walk another mile or more if you got turned around in one of the thickets..... LOL

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Not to step on anyone's toes but I usually go to camp it February to trap beaver for a couple days. I'd be willing to call the gentleman and ask permission.
How familiar are you with Route 948 between Ridgway and Highland?

The dam is right along the road on LandVest property. As near as I can tell no one is trapping it but someone could at any time. If you are interested I can give you directions. There could actually be two landowners involved and I think they would both be glad to have the beavers removed. They have been an ongoing problem there for decades.

Let me know if you want to give it a whirl.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
12,848 Posts
I have been checked by wardens and deputies around 10 times over 40 years of hunting. I was always nice and they were always nice but firm and I understood that. I was always legal, until one year I wore a camo/orange hat while deer hunting and was warned by a deputy that you have to wear a solid orange hat for big game rifle hunting. I said i was truely sorry and won`t happen again and he was cool with that. I never made that mistake again and a lesson learned.

·
Super Moderator
5,639 Posts
I have been checked by wardens and deputies around 10 times over 40 years of hunting. I was always nice and they were always nice but firm and I understood that. I was always legal, until one year I wore a camo/orange hat while deer hunting and was warned by a deputy that you have to wear a solid orange hat for big game rifle hunting. I said i was truely sorry and won`t happen again and he was cool with that. I never made that mistake again and a lesson learned.
It was my understanding that the only time it needed to be solid orange was groundhog hunting. As long as there is some orange on your head that can be seen 360 degrees you should have been ok. But I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I thought it was 100 sq. in. head or chest and back
No, it is 250 sq inches on the head, chest and back combined and must be able to be seen in a 360 degree arc. In 1975 a groundhog hunter shot another groundhog hunter in the head in southern Lancaster Co and killed him. The victim was a child hunting on his own farm and was wearing no orange. It wasn't necessary to wear it for hogs at that time, The officer who did the investigation was very affected by that incident, so much so he had bad dreams for a long time and choked up every time he spoke about it. The old native American saying of don't judge a man till you walk a mile in his moccasins hold true in many situations. Criticizing someone for enforcing a safety law is one of those situations. I bet all who have been cited for not wearing an orange hat wear them now while hunting. Officers would rather have someone ticked off than having to look back and think, if they had cited that person maybe they wouldn't have gotten shot later on.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
No, it is 250 sq inches on the head, chest and back combined and must be able to be seen in a 360 degree arc. In 1975 a groundhog hunter shot another groundhog hunter in the head in southern Lancaster Co and killed him. The victim was a child hunting on his own farm and was wearing no orange. It wasn't necessary to wear it for hogs at that time, The officer who did the investigation was very affected by that incident, so much so he had bad dreams for a long time and choked up every time he spoke about it. The old native American saying of don't judge a man till you walk a mile in his moccasins hold true in many situations. Criticizing someone for enforcing a safety law is one of those situations. I bet all who have been cited for not wearing an orange hat wear them now while hunting. Officers would rather have someone ticked off than having to look back and think, if they had cited that person maybe they wouldn't have gotten shot later on.
sorry I was replying to someones ? on woodchuck hunting, solid orange hat only no break up orange(y)

·
Registered
180 Posts
A buddy of mine got checked a few weeks back and got a lecture on not having red on his 20 foot burlapped ladder stand. Ironic, the warden wasn't wearing any fluorescent red at all and there was a deer drive going on in the fog. Some people just don't have any common sense.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Red?You mean FO I think.Just this late afternoon I was huntin with my Flinty layin down hidin against a log with just my head barely above the log as I was waitin for an ambush.I was thinkin about what RSB mentioned and if I wasn,t on private property I don,t think what I was doin might have been a good idea.

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
Why would you not be wearing FO, just doesnt make sense to not be safe.

I was out running dogs on a GL this afternoon, looked like a walking pumpkin. Saw 4 people riding bike in the snow, all had better then the required minimum of FO on. Also saw a guy on x country skis, he had a FO knit cap on and a FY vest on. Also saw a group of flintlock hunters out, must have been putting on drives, and all of them had plenty of FO on.

·
Super Moderator
5,639 Posts
Usually I dress in full camo when checking traps. This week I was on a SGL trapping beaver. Being it was Saturday, on public ground, I put on an orange vest. I ended up walking through the middle of a big drive that the Amish was putting on in a big red willow bottom. Glad I had some orange, as they moved deer past me and shot 7-8 times.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
That,s true Lost.But I only hunt on my own farm.Sometimes on the adjoining farm.There is virtually no huntin pressure unless it is someone I invite and we all know where we all are.But that doesn,t mean someone still can,t be on another property,etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,639 Posts
Ryan, I’m not seeing that in the digest. The last part of this link mentions 100 square inches, but I believe this is in reference to groundhog hunting.
When I was fined, the warden told me I could have had a small orange band encircling my hat, so long as it’s square area, in combination with my vest/ coat square area, totaled 250 square inches. The orange on the hat needed to be visible 360 degrees, but it’s not specified how much needs to be displayed, other than when groundhog hunting.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here's the problem with FOand PA's byzantine compendium of regulations, Ten different guys interpret it ten different ways. Same with wardens. Half of them interpret it one way and half the other way. If they just made it FO ALL THE TIME, it would save a lot of grief. The BS about flintlock not wearing it is just one example of contradictory and nonsensical regulations that are driving potential hunters to other states..

·
Registered
25,593 Posts
Solid FO hat for woodchucks. Hat, chest/back minimum 250 square inches for big game, including FO "break up camo". Never had any issues with sorting out our FO requirements. Some grumble and changes are made, otherwise they haven't changed much in years.

I typically wear a ballcap w/FO crown and brown bill in rifle deer. And either a black/FO vest, or a similar coat if it gets cold. Never had a problem with Wardens over my choices in FO.

201 - 220 of 251 Posts