The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased one several years ago and shot a few shots with it. Anything out to 20 yards was fairly accurate, but that would be my limit. I don't really use them now because I don't go archery hunting in the rain. But, with all the rain we've had lately and the rut coming on, I sure am rethinking that idea. Anybody here ever use one and if so, would you recommend it???

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I always thought that they were illegal in Pa- did a law change?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are we talking about the same thing here???? The Game Tracker I'm talking about is a spool of 17# test line that attaches to your stabilizer. I bought mine @ Lancaster Archery about 15 years ago.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
They aren't illegal to use. My f-i-l has been using it for years.

He doesn't take long distance shots, so accuracy isn't an issue for him. He has followed the string to his deer numerous times. Last year, he shot a buck and the string must've hooked a branch because the spool unwound quickly, but the deer went down before he ran out of string. If the string breaks before the deer goes down, you will still have a good idea on what direction to start tracking your deer.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I thought ti was a radio signal tracking device- ooops- my bad.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
They used to make those, it was a little RF tag that attached to your arrow and hooked into the hide with a barb when you shot the deer, it came with a big directional antenna that you sweep back and forth to find the deer.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Shot one many years ago with one, it worked great. does limit you accuracy at ranges over 15 to 20 yards.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I had one when I first started it was really cool. I got rid of it since because it was tough to find the string.... that was before the days of googling what you wanted.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
yep used to have one . worked good but was a pain picking up the string on missed shots .

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yea, other than the added offcentered weight on the bow the whole missed shot/string thing was the biggest pain. I've also hear of people who's string got kinked while walking through the woods and when they shot it screwed up the arrow flight. Personally I don't see it as a huge need if you focus & practice taking good shots, you use a quality broadhead that makes a good blood trail, and (most important to tracking a deer) you ppay attention as to the direction it runs in after the shot. Can't tell you how many deer I have helped a friend track down where it took us 20-30min to find the impact are where he shot the deer let alone the blood trail afterwards...all because they were so excited they forgot to pay attention to where the deer was when they shot it and where it ran afterwards.

·
Registered
561 Posts
We made my cousin use one for a long time because he would get so wound up after he shot a deer he could never tell you which way it headed. It was always "this way, this way or that way" and when you really found out the true path he was 40-50 yards off at times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts