The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16,510 Posts
Been getting GN for 40+ years, Still get it, but haven't read a single one in probably 3 years ? Readers block I guess. lol

Is Don Lewis still alive ?

Was a guy named George Block from Wash. Co. He worked at a gun shop that I would stop in every now and then. He would write articles for GN

·
Administrator
30,318 Posts
Glad to see this thread because it just occurred to me that I haven't received a Game News for about two months now. Pretty sure my prescription subscription is up to date, but I'll have to check to make sure.

Reactions: octagon

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Glad to see this thread because it just occurred to me that I haven't received a Game News for about two months now. Pretty sure my prescription subscription is up to date, but I'll have to check to make sure.
If you look on your mailing label of your last one, it should show the month/year of renewal.

·
Administrator
30,318 Posts
If you look on your mailing label of your last one, it should show the month/year of renewal.
Yeah, that's where I'll check. Have a lot of family life stuff going on these days and haven't even realized GN wasn't delivered, until I read this thread.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Best story I read was a warden reports. Warden came a cross a couple hunting. The wife had a license and a gun and the husband was tagging along. Warden suspected the husband was going to shoot and use the wife's tag. So he asked her if she knew how to shoot the gun. She said hang your watch on that tree about 100 yards away and we'll see. Warden said OK. Bang the watch designated. Here the wife was a state champ rifle shooter.
I'm surprised she did not get cited for unsafe backstop, shooting at a tree :)

·
Registered
25,912 Posts
When I was a kid back in the late 50s, always looked forward to visiting one of dad's friends. He always had PGNs for me to read, while the old folks played pinochle. Spent hours in the ol' boy's favorite easy chair reading them. Was never allowed to take any home.

Years ago the Superior Half ordered me to tidy up my office, so I took boxes of my own PGNs up to camp. Began attending BOC meetings over two decades ago, so eventually got to know a fair number of PGC folks. Was reading some old PGNs one night at camp and there were some of 'em featured in the magazine, that I hadn't known back when that particular issue was new.

Later pointed out to one that posts here, that he looked a bit thinner in the early 80s, according to his picture in an article about cadet training when he wasn't in uniform.

He replied that it was the stripped shirt he was wearing in that pic, that made him look thinner. Pffft.

:)

Sopchick is a terrific artist and a pretty good writer, too. Enjoy Ben Moyer and several others that have contributed over the years, along with Gerry Putt's artwork. Agreed that the Warden's diaries were great and Field Notes is always read first. Really enjoyed deer biologist Jeannine Fleagle's articles, still kid her about them riling some people up.

When Bob Mitchell retired as editor, I advised his successors to put more tweeties on the covers, as they seemed to be really popular with readers.

:cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well its the 13th and no Game News. Perhaps our horse threw a shoe while doing the mail out here or the Kiowa got the mailman....Better call Marshall Dillion. Others where here by the 5th. Dang Kiowa probably reading it while roasting the mail man.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well the 14th worst fears realized. On my way to Dodge City found the remains of the mail man nothing but bones. Horse gone, unshod pony tracks heading to the South. Kiowa for sure, found some mail, but no Game News. All they left was bills. Road on into Dodge, Miss Kitty at the Long Branch said Matt and Festus had sent word to the Army and they (Matt and Festus) where on the trail of this renegade batch of Indians. Saw Doc he said he could not write me another "Prescription" for the Game News till 30 days had passed and then only for the missing month. Ugh I need my Prescription to get filled.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts