The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know how many of you read the Game News, but in the August 2009 issue, there was an article called "Where the Buffalo Roamed". I found this article very interesting, because it included a story about my ancestors that I thought I would share.

Before I go into the story, Ill give you a little background information. My grandfather owns a camp in Western Snyder County, in the Bald Eagle State Forest. It was built in the 1950's by my grandfather and my great-grandfather. In the area of our camp is a lot of history that pertains to our family. The land our camp is built on, was previously a farm owned by an ancestor in the 1800's. My great-grandfather built many of the dirt roads around our camp during the depression. He was also a forest ranger and lived in a fire tower about 2 miles from our camp in the late 1920's. My grandfather was born very close to our camp, and lived in the area for many years of his childhood. The list of my ancestors could go on and on in the general area of our camp because my aunt has done a lot of research about genealogy.

Now to somewhat begin the story. My great, great, great,…….grandfather, was Ner Middleswarth. He lived in the area of Troxelville, PA. The Snyder Middleswarth Natural Area in Snyder County is named after him and Simon Snyder, who was the Governor of PA. Middleswarth was a politician; Pa House of Representatives, Speaker of the House, and State Senate.

The article in the Game News has a story in it on page 14, about an incident, which occurred in the White Mountains of PA, between the towns of Weikert, Union County and Troxelville, Snyder County. My family has a newspaper clipping called "Pennsylvania Profiles", by Patrick Reynolds, which is an animated story. Right now, I cannot remember which newspaper it is from because it was printed before I was born. The story in this clipping is called "Where the Buffalo Stopped Roaming". I wish I had access to a scanner so I could scan it, but I don’t so I will just type it…..

--Snyder County, Dec. 29, 1799- After dozens of buffalo crashed into Sam McClellan's cabin, his neighbors tore down a wall so the beasts could get out. (Picture of buffalo in a cabin)

--McClellan took a rifle from one of the men and as Old Logan emerged he shot and killed the bull. (Picture of McClellan shooting a buffalo, named Old Logan)

--Inside they found McClellan's wife and children trampled to death. (Picture of McClellan holding his wife).

--The next morning 50 men gathered at Martin Bergstresser's place to go after the herd. Their names included Middleswarth, Snyder, Sourkill, Young, Ott, Benfer, Swineford, Doran, and Fryer. (Picture of the men on horses with guns)

--It snowed all day and high winds created icy drifts. The bison took refuge in what is now Bull Hollow, Snyder-Middleswarth State Park. (Picture of the bison)

--On Dec 31st the avengers found them and started shooting. (Picture of a guy shooting a gun)

--To save powder they attacked the beasts with bear knives. By dusk, the last bison in Pennsylvania were dead on there feet, held upright by the ice. (Picture of dead bison)

You really have to read the article in the Game News to understand this thread. I thought it was very cool that the article in the Game News followed the clipping my family has. They were not word for word, and both told details in different areas of the story, but none the less, they were the same story. When I was reading this story in the Game News, I could not believe what I was reading. My grandfather would always tell me, your ancestors shot the last buffalo in PA. I sort of believed him, but I always had some speculation. Now after reading the Game News article, I'm starting to believe it might just be true
. Now I really want to do more research on this, to find out as much as I can.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I already found two books I need to get, "A Pennsylvania Bison Hunt" by Henry Shoemaker and The history of Union County. Both of these seem to tell the full story about this. Henry Shoemaker maybe the same person in the Game News article Colonel Shoemaker. Google sure does make doing research easier

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
6,313 Posts
Re: Game News Aug. 2009, "Where the Buffalo Roamed"

I have the issue and seen the article, that will be my bedtime story tonight. I always save the articles in GN that look really good for last.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.