The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it that the PAGC has property the tax payer, hunter, etc has paid for or been given to hunt on can't have a map available to find the excate location of? I have 2 or three in my area i would like to find and there are no maps available[079,185,262], why ? There has to be be something, heck if it is ownd by the State how do I know where it is? How can I find the locations of these gamelands?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but take a look the ones I mention are NOT available , or did I miss somethin, thats what I asked. So how do I locate the areas to hunt?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have 2 options for you.

1)Try to contact the area PGC office ( Regional, etc)
2) Go to Walmart and purchase the Western Pennsylvania All Outdoors Atlas & Field Guide.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I find the maps annoying to use. Is there are way to have them like a "layer" on Google or Bing maps. Seems that the maps just show a few roads and if you are not from the area you can having trouble finding the area, looking at another map.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that one in NE corner of the county not even ,marked on the most recent[its old] topo as far as i can see...yea, they administer but can't tell you where it is.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would the ariel mapping sites have the boundry's on them? I have never used any of those sites, is one better?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Here is what you need to do.
If you do not have google earth, download it.
To download it do a search on google for google earth.
IF you have a current version of google earth, update it.
To update it, open google earth, go to help and click on check for updates online.
Once you have an updated google earth,
Click on the link below, Or paste it in your internet browser.
Once you open that page, you will see "open in google earth"
click on that and it will overlay the game lands onto your google earth, then I BELIEVE it will be available from then on.

http://www.pasda.psu.edu/uci/MapService.aspx?Dataset=86

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Beartrppr said:
The taxpayer has paid for?
A buddy and I just had this conversation yesturday....My buddy had to explain to some on a local sgl that they were WRONG on thier comment that THEY Pay Taxes and THEY Helped pay for the land!

Seeing We the Hunters pay for the SGLs and also pay the Pittman-Robertson tax on firearms and Ammo....To many feel since we pay that Tax, there are other taxes going for the buying of SGLs...

Also, bad thing about this...as you seen above...
We also have hunters that Still Believe that Taxes..I.E- Those Federal, State, Local taxes we pay, are used to buy SGLs...of which They DON'T for those of you who feel they do!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sgflats said:
To update it, open google earth, go to help and click on check for updates online.
click on that and it will overlay the game lands onto your google earth, then I BELIEVE it will be available from then on.

That is really neat, thank you so much for that info
I would have never imagined
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
That mapping software from Penn State that masks over Google Earth is pretty cool. A word of caution though... Our hunting land borders SGL land. The border line draw by the red line, is not perfectly accurate. So keep that in mine... It is also out of date like the map you can get of that same SGL on the PGC website. They added several new tracks over the past few years and none of those have been added yet.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Sgflats said:

this image keeps flashing over my screen while viewing the map with the game lands...it's really starting to tick me off....anyone know how to get rid of it.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
i suppose it's just a icon indicating it is refreshing but boy oh boy is it annoying....

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Some of the SGL's that don't have maps have been in existence long enough that you would think there'd be maps for them by now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Also note that of the SGL land maps that do exist on the web site (PGC)... Some differ from the SGL map that is provided in the section (of the PGC site) where cooperative land owners are listed by county.

Using sgl 170 as an example: one map indicates many acres of land across a major state rd. Yet those who walk it, know it is posted and no PGC markers exist.

A check with Huntingdon office to see if recent changes were made ended in "we don't know". So I asked to have a call back from the "WCO of the area" He called back nicely a few days later and said "man, I would have no idea". It could be ours...maybe our crew just hasn't put up markers yet.

So the two maps on the same PGC site show different boundaries. (I do understand the logistics of updating, but complete missing maps as mentioned above in previous posts are a poor reflection ).

Calling back to the region office and having them bring up both maps and looking at them, I asked if there is a 'land management dude' who would know... and they said no.

It is frustrating.

I will compare it to Google Earth at home, as our firewalls cannot be defeated at work. We've tried.

...it would not surprise me if that shows a 3rd and different boundary.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Google earth seems to run / reload slower the more layers you have on, I usually turn off any layers I am not using, especially 3d stuff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts