The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbors lease 318 acres about 5 minutes from their house. The person who owns the land lives about 2 hours from here and decided to lease the property to them so they can help patrol it and hang stands for hunting season. When the landowner comes in to hunt, he hunts out of stands that my neighbors hang and they have a good relationship with the landowner.

The last Saturday of deer season, the land owner was walking the property and found a fresh gut pile and drag marks. He followed the marks and they led to a housing development which is known around town for being a problem area. The landowner followed the drag marks and found a guy with a 4 point which he had covered up to hide.

The landowner calls the game commission. They show up and the guy with the deer had already cut its head off to hide it and says he 'found' the deer. He was on posted property when he 'found' it.

Long story short, the game commission has a guy who 'found' a dead 4 point while he was on posted property, took the deer without notifying the game commission, and tried to hide it and they did NOTHING about it.

My neighbor who leases the property was furious. After many non-returned phone calls he finlly talks to the game officer and to his supervisor to find out they are not going to do anything to the guy. The guy was on posted property, shot an illegal deer, says he found it, and removed it from the woods and the game commission didn't do a thing.

My neighbor thanked the game commission for doing such an outstanding job and told them that now this guy will think he can go on the property whenever he wants, take illegal deer and nothing will happen.

He even asked the game officer, "If I hit a deer with my car and want to take it, do I gotta call you first?" The game officer said "of course you do" to which my neighbor replied "What is the diffeence here then?" The only reply by the game officer was "Well yo got me there."

I dont get it. The Game Commissions job is to protect the animals and to serve the people who are law abiding hunters and they had a guy who broke several laws and they did nothing. I just wanted to share the story with you all so you can hear about how well the game commission did their job in this area the last day of deer season.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Is this post even serious? Do you really think they did nothing? If the Game Commission could have gotten a conviction out of this I am almost certain they would have filed charges.

·
Registered
730 Posts
as usual there is more to the story...even IF they believed his story they would have taken the head and hide at a minmum. There are so many questions here it will take forever to go thru them.... like was the officer shown the drag marks? were there any pictures taken by landowner? etc etc..... just another bash the PGC thread... lets lock this one down and move on...........

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sounds like a crock of male bovine excrement to me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
as one commentator used to say..."and now for the rest of the story."

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
any public entity gets criticized for everything. No matter if its actually good, someone finds a way to call them out.

·
Registered
957 Posts
well not sure what the exact details are, but would like to get the officers view on it when they arrived.... bet ts a little different

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
FoxSquirrelHMR17 said:
He even asked the game officer, "If I hit a deer with my car and want to take it, do I gotta call you first?" The game officer said "of course you do" to which my neighbor replied "What is the diffeence here then?" The only reply by the game officer was "Well yo got me there."
You would think that the officer would know that a person can take a road killed deer as long as they call in for a permit number. Makes me wonder how accurate the story is.

from the pgc website, title 58 147.142

(2) Special procedures for deer and turkey accidentally killed by a motor vehicle. A person is authorized to take immediate possession of the carcass of a deer or turkey evidently killed accidentally by a motor vehicle and transport it to a place of safekeeping within this Commonwealth. A person taking possession of a deer or turkey carcass under this paragraph shall contact the Commission to obtain a permit number within 24 hours after having taken possession of the deer or turkey carcass. The issued permit number itself shall be considered a valid permit for the purposes of authorizing the continued possession of the edible portions of the deer or turkey carcass.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You won't know all the details anyways. When it comes to the details on something that happens there are laws that prevent release of details. Such as the HIPPA rules that ambulance services have to go by. Law officials can't tell you either.

·
Registered
465 Posts
i thought any criminal charges where to be public information, like in the blotter where all the duis and arrests of a locality are listed with names and offenses

·
Registered
10,951 Posts
d orlowski said:
You won't know all the details anyways. When it comes to the details on something that happens there are laws that prevent release of details. Such as the HIPPA rules that ambulance services have to go by. Law officials can't tell you either.
There are no "rules" that prevent law enforcement from releasing the details of an investigation with the exception of testimony before a Grand Jury which in most cases is sealed.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There is nothing to prevent an officer from releasing information about an nvestigation except good sense. The court room is the place for information to come forward. After a case is finalized the information can be released. If an investigation doesn't have enough evidence to bring charges or if it shows there was no violation there is no reason to make the information public except to the informant.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My neighbor told me that the game officers said "No charges are going to be filed and they consider the matter closed."

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
thats a pretty tough story to swallow,there's got to be more to it.rough-up the neighbor a little bit,make him talk;keep us posted.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
FoxSquirrelHMR17 said:
This right here is the main reason i don't believe it!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
FoxSquirrelHMR17 said:
if you all down want to believe it, then don't. really doesn't bother me. but what I am telling you is what I know of the situation.
You MAY be telling us what you have been told, but trust me, you have been hoodwinked by someone!!!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I don't see any laws broken in this case that the PGC could file. Need more info? Is it a three point area or four point area? Shot legally or found dead. Just need more info?The fact that it was posted property means nothing unless a game law was broken.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts