The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked SGL 211 this week in an area PGC burned several years ago. They are planning another burn nearby and are currently working on fire breaks and access roads. I was blown away by the Japanese stilt grass invasion. Areas over 1 mile from the nearest road that were largely free of stilt grass pre-burn are now consumed by it. In many places it has become the dominant understory species. Garlic mustard is also growing aggressively.

Burns are the new and greatest habitat trend but even a cursory internet search reveals that burns promote stilt grass proliferation. I am not an anti-PGC person. However, I am troubled at the results of these burns and mystified as to the game commission's full-steam-ahead approach to continued burning. Again, these are remote areas that were reasonably clean of invasives pre-burn. The construction of access roads and fire breaks in what were roadless areas introduces seed and fire promotes its growth.

Is anyone aware of this issue or discussing it? I'll attach some photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is vulnerable to herbicides but you have to keep up with it to exhaust the seed bank. Unfortunately it takes over large areas and prevents regeneration of desirable species. I spray it with a grass specific herbicide when I find it on our own property. It is a job keeping up with it.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
It is vulnerable to herbicides but you have to keep up with it to exhaust the seed bank. Unfortunately it takes over large areas and prevents regeneration of desirable species. I spray it with a grass specific herbicide when I find it on our own property. It is a job keeping up with it.

You have to spray it before it seeds. And the seeds from previous years are still there and will come up the next year and you spray it again before it seeds. It will take 6 or 7 years of spraying before it seeds to really kill it. If you fail to spray even one year before it seeds you are back at square one.

So knowing that don't buy poison and spray your property with it for 7 years. The damage from the poison is worse than the stilt grass in many different ways. Mowing it after its gone to seed is the worst thing you can do. I've seen the results of that first hand and it will spread much faster.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Internet pics are tough, but that doesn't look like stiltgrass to me?

edit - closer look yeah I see it in the second photo.

I haven't seen that and they've done a lot of burning up on the plateau here. Definitely makes some sense that the disturbances increase the risk of that happening.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Autumn Olive 2.0.......only worse.

Or multiflora rose...take your pick!

I think rose is the worst of the two. Black bears like to feed on the autumn olive, guess that counts for something..

Reactions: simoncool

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Literally hundreds and hundreds of acres of it. It is absolutely microstegium (stilt grass).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts