The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday i was walking through my farm field to my first set when i noticed a game comission exploxer slow down then leave after checking my first set he was sitting on the roadway near my niegbors house. my niegbor was not home so i kept walking my line. about 300 yards past my first set i crossed a small stream an looked back to see an officer sneaking through the woods on my the niegbors property. i waited a little for him to flag me down or identify himself but he kept moving along the little waterway, so i kept checking my traps figured he would catch up to me sooner or later an i was pressed for time having been at camp for the whole weekend i had alot to do. so i worked down the creek bed right to my house an walked out into the drive way an waited for him to drive by or walk up since its the only house near where he was. after talking to my dad for about a mintue we say the officer standing about 500 yards from his truck on one of our wheat fields, which bothered me becuase i dont like when people damage our crops. when my dad drove to the field the officer had quickly moved back down to the creek. so i went along the back part of my farm an set some more traps, after about an hour an half the officers truck was still sitting there, it takes me on 15 mins to walk the lower line i started to wonder why he was taking so long an then hit me he was still probly looking for me or looking for my traps. after a while he did drive by very slow and turn around and drive by again an looked right at me set a dp coon trap near the creek bed but never stopped, so i guess he didnt see me. now the more i think about it if he was down there trapping around my stands an looking for my traps 9which are all tagged with my name an address0 he probly just ruined that area becuase i really doubt that he sprayed down with scent spray before hand. i have had several run ins with the comission, i have never done anything wrong and on one occacion i actually had to video the converstation of them acussing my friend of shooting a bobcat, they said they had photos but never produced them and the 'source' they had was actually someone we know an he said he thought a yote with mange was a bobcat. another friend of mine was accused of baiting deer, he asked if they were on his gated farm and the denied it several time after meeting up with the farmer to check the land he asked them again if they had gone on his private property and they said no but had nothing to say when he showed them the picture from his trail cam of the very same officers, they found tht the corn pile was actually on the niegbors farm and fined the owner of that farm. so my question i guess is was i in the wrong for checking the rest of my traps on my private property when i was completely by the law an he had no premission to come onto my farm and im assuming no reason to stop me. i figured he was trying to sneak up on me to see if i was trapping illegealy. im goin to check my sets now and see if they were tampered with since that is unlawful i couldnt see him doing that, i would be willing to bet he will be somewhere waiting for me again since he didnt stop me yesterday

·
Registered
748 Posts
Maybe he was investigating a Mt.Lion sighting!! In all seriousness, I would have walked up and confronted him. Maybe he was watching so he knew where to look for your sets!!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There is no reason to deny being on private property because WCOs have the right under the law to go upon any property, private or public, outside of buildings, in the performance of their duty.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
you are not a Ninja, if the Officer wanted to talk to you he would have. Possibly an investigation that might not involve you.

·
Registered
679 Posts
John S said:
There is no reason to deny being on private property because WCOs have the right under the law to go upon any property, private or public, outside of buildings, in the performance of their duty.
And what a lovely law that is... How the WCO's acquired such an unconstitutional privilege is beyond me... The police need a warrant or probable cause.. The WCO's need to be on the clock and feel like taking a walk. Isn't that just nice...

·
Registered
763 Posts
While I due not care how some of the wco conduct themselves.
There is a need for a law like this. If they had no right to be on the land how would they do and investigation.An miller don't worry about it if he want to talk he will.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
trappin4reds2010 said:
John S said:
And what a lovely law that is... How the WCO's acquired such an unconstitutional privilege is beyond me... The police need a warrant or probable cause.. The WCO's need to be on the clock and feel like taking a walk. Isn't that just nice...
Please educate yourself. Open fields doctrine applies to all Law Enforcement. WCO's need warrants for the same stuff that police officers need them for.

·
Registered
679 Posts
R.W.J said:
trappin4reds2010 said:
John S said:
Please educate yourself. Open fields doctrine applies to all Law Enforcement. WCO's need warrants for the same stuff that police officers need them for.
I'm educated.
Please educate the WCO's in my district. If the same laws do in fact apply to them then they certainly have not shown that they are aware of it.. I have a friend who came home to WCO's going through his garage based on a "tip" who will testify to their behavior. They found nothing...
I'm not looking for an argument here because it won't go anywhere. And people will continue to behave as they do. Just wanted to let you know why I said what I said. I'm out of this one.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually in the case of trespassing if the access to the property such as logging road is gated it applies to to the same law as entering your house they need a permit, or proper cause. Turns out that they were looking for me I only seen the one but there was two. they crossed into my rather unfriendly neighbors property an knocked on his door an were rather rude to his wife demanding for her to tell them who's property this was an who was trapping it. He caught up with them before they got back to my farm an they asked him who was trapping an he told them it was his neighbor and that my traps were tagged an I was legal then told them in an impolite way to get off his land since they were tramping around his hunting stands too. I wasn't hiding or trying to be a "Ninja" like I said he didn't try to stop me i figured he was tryin to catch me doing something i wasnt suppose to. really didn't even try to hide where I was I even left foot prints in the soft mud anyone with any level of trackin skill could of followed me back to my house. There's only 2 houses on the 100 acre of the family farm i even waited in the driveway for a little i figured they would stop in. And after hearing from my neighbor turns out it was the same two that investigated the so called bobcat cat my friend shot. I won't post names but I think it's rather funny how I have only every had trouble with them an none of the others.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Miller, you are incorrect look at Pennsylvania Open Fields Doctrine. It does not matter if its gated. Warrants or consent are needed building, curtiledge and vehicles. Not for posted land.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
miller17015 said:
Actually in the case of trespassing if the access to the property such as logging road is gated it applies to to the same law as entering your house they need a permit, or proper cause. Turns out that they were looking for me I only seen the one but there was two. they crossed into my rather unfriendly neighbors property an knocked on his door an were rather rude to his wife demanding for her to tell them who's property this was an who was trapping it. He caught up with them before they got back to my farm an they asked him who was trapping an he told them it was his neighbor and that my traps were tagged an I was legal then told them in an impolite way to get off his land since they were tramping around his hunting stands too. I wasn't hiding or trying to be a "Ninja" like I said he didn't try to stop me i figured he was tryin to catch me doing something i wasnt suppose to. really didn't even try to hide where I was I even left foot prints in the soft mud anyone with any level of trackin skill could of followed me back to my house. There's only 2 houses on the 100 acre of the family farm i even waited in the driveway for a little i figured they would stop in. And after hearing from my neighbor turns out it was the same two that investigated the so called bobcat cat my friend shot. I won't post names but I think it's rather funny how I have only every had trouble with them an none of the others.
Call the regional office that covers Carlise and ask the LE Supervisor

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Miller if you were at camp "all weekend" how did you check your traps in a timely fashion?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If ur driveway is not gated and someone drives back it an gets hurt u can be sued but if it is gated then they can't sued. It's under a law that is actually unknown by many. do to the fact the FBI was placing tracking gps on vehicles of suspects an when the GPS was located an removed then placed on eBay the FBI tried to arrest the person of interest for tampering with FBI property an when It went to court the judge ruled in favor of the person due to the fact that the car was parked in the gated driveway when the device was placed. He ruled that any property that was not gated was legal for them to enter but a gated property is the same as entering a home. A supervisor I worked with had the legal issue of having a game comission SUV towed an it never went through because the vehicle was infront of a gated entrance to private property that had a sign that said no trespassing and a no parking sign on it. When he arrived to cut fire wood the SUV was parked infront of the gate blockin his only entrance to his property so he had it towed. It is all in the way the law is read and by whom reads it. Does that mean the game comission has the right to just walk on my farm at anytime they please even if there is no reason for them to be there?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was waitin for colder weather to set my traps so when I got home Sunday at noon I set a small line I always check my sets once a day when I'm laid off in the winter an have more time I run a much larger line never more then I can check. As I've said I do my best to stay by the law just so that officers don't have a reason to even bother me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cousin of mine was hiking in to check his beaver traps a few years ago. He and his 8 year old son watched a game commission officer pull his traps out of the water, check that tags, than try to reset my cousins traps how they were so he wouldn't know. Well my cousin than approached the officer a week later when he saw him and asked him about it. When the officer denied it in front of multiple people my cousin than asked if the officer was calling him and his 8 year old son liars? makes you wonder about how "honest" some people are.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think what bothers me more then anything is that I had my hunting tags my permit to carry an was only check traps when they stopped to try to find me. I wasn't carrying a rifle or a bow not toting a huge pack with traps at that point I was just walkin my line. So why did they try to catch up to me as far as I could tell there was no reason for them to stop me does this mean that they are gonna stop me everytime I'm walkin my property and if so is that harassment? I mean how often does a cop stop you while walkin on the sidewalk? Especially snice it was the same two that tried to acuse my friend of shootin a bobcat after they said they had photos but couldn't produce them an there witness was a person we knew that couldn't tell the difference from a red fox an a cat.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is unlawful to tamper with traps that are not yours. From what I understand they almost need you to show them that the trap is tagged an not tamper with it. In the case of your cusion what if they would of reset the trap improperly then it didn't catch the beaver right an the animal suffered? As for a fox set I drive my duckbill stakes into the ground an my tag gets buried the only way to see my tag is to dig up my trap what of they did tht an then a fox manages to pull it lose now who pays for a new trap an who's the one responsible for that fox running around with a trap in tow? Like I said on more then one time we have cuaght them with false statements. I even have the video of them trying the good cop bad cop with my friend about tht bobcat. I actually had the video of the fox that he shot tht the person thought was a bobcat an I'm the one that took the picture of the fox. I don't hate the game comission but they make it difficult some times. My friends dad several years ago got shot for the second time durnin spring turkey season. He was on a private farm callin in a gobbler when someone had seat down behind him he stopped callin an let the turkey work his way down the tree line an when it crossed it was a jake so he didn't shoot but the guy behind him did. It caught his left arms an his gun. Lucky him it barley graced him he grabbed the guys tags off him when he went to grab the turkey. We pulled in after videoing turkeys that just stayed out of gun range all mornin an the one game commissioner was one of the ones that was on my farm the other day. The guy was using his wife's tags because be was fresh out of jail an wasn't allowed to have a gun. The rest of tht turkey season we were bothered with that very same officer I only was checked once but my friend was checked 2 days in a row it seemed every time they came out of the woods the officer would just show up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts