The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for talk about another broadhead other than Rage.

Has anyone shot these new broadheads? What are your thoughts about the new metal gator clip instead of a rubber o-ring?

I have a pack but have yet to shoot them since I'm sighting in my new Black Gold sight. My initial concern is it is really hard to get the blades to open. I plan on doing a penetration test, or at least test to see how well the blades open up once passing through a 1 inch piece of foam.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
Why worry about shooting a BH that may have a problems with the blades opening?Seriously,and this isn't meant to start an argument,what advantage would those BH's have?I look at them and see a head that has long,skinny blades,connected to the ferrule in one place.It's a weak,overpriced design that won't kill any more game than any other head.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I am personally not a fan of mechanicals. Two years ago while boning out a shoulder roast from a doe my buddy came upon a expandable. I will stick to my slick tricks until they fail me. This is just my thoughts,if you want to use them feel free.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Not true. Ten years ago I watched my rocket go center chest, double lung, through the biggest doe I ever shot. She was shot at less than 15 yards. There were only a couple of specs of blood where she was hit, and nothing after that. I could see the exact spot where she went out of sight over 100 yards away. She acted like she wasn't hurt.

I let her go over night and we did a grid search the next day. No sign of her or any more blood. Only deer I never recovered, and a double lung shot at that. A few people had the same experience I did with them. So you really can't say any mechanical will get the job done.

I am sure she died, just not no where near where I shot her.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
One of longest tracking jobs I ever had was a buck I shot with a Rocket steelhead.It was a broadside 20 yard shot.I didn't see the impact but I heard the familiar thunk and the deer bolted downhill.I waited a half hour before climbing down to check for sign.The deer never bled a drop for about 200 yards.I was positive he was hit but I didn't find my arrow at first.I was getting ready to give and go get help when I found a small puddle of blood on the next bench down.I followed the kicked up leaves down over another bench and found blood all over the place where it was coming up through his mouth from his lungs and the buck was a short distance away.That deer was double lunged and made it probably 250-300 yards.At first,I thought the BH didn't open because there was just a small entrance and a small exit wound.Later,I found my arrow and all three blades snapped off right at the base of the ferule.I killed two other deer with that same packet of steelheads and had broken blades both times.Broadeads that have blades connected to the ferul at only one point will always be weaker,especially if they they're connected by a small set screw or small retainer clip.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The poor guy asked about the new T3 and turned into a mechanical bashing thread. He didnt ask how many deer got away with your mechanicals.

I bought a pack yesterday, I will let you know what I think when the weekend hits.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Some day there will be a good mechanical broadhead. It's just that the time is not here yet. I will be on board once that time is here; but I have a feeling we are still 3 to 5 years away. I can guarantee that it won't have the Rage on the cover with stupid quotes like Rage in the Cage on the packaging.

The broadhead will sell itself and won't need to spend millions on advertising.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The reason i posted this topic is because these new broadheads are using a different design to hold the blades in place in flight. The blades are also not attached by a set screw or pin, they have ferrules on the end of the blades that slide in in a track.

I also posted this topic because I experiment with different stuff, like broadheads, sites, releases. So far this year i have shot the following braodheads; Slick Tricks, Grizz Tricks, Razor Tricks, Shuttle Ts, G5's Montecs, NAP Gobbler Broadhead,and Rocky Mountain Steel heads. I was hoping to get some HONEST feedback and thoughts on this broadhead. I have yet to decide if i'll use it. So it would be great to hear honest opinions on this broadhead if you have shot it, looked at it, or know somebody else who has. Listening to the pro and cons of mechnanicals vs fixed has been beaten like a road kill on I-81.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
It isn't just about the pro's and cons of fixed heads vs mechanicals.You can look at the design and tell if it's weak,based on past experience with similar designs.Parts of the design are knew but the fact still remains that the blades are only connected to the ferule in one spot.That's a weak design and it's supported by at least 15 deer that I've killed with similar designs and dozens of others that I was on hand to see.

I like to tinker myself,which is exactly why I've used several different types of mechanicals and many different fixed heads.I've just yet to see any mechanical that had any practical advantages over a good fixed blade.Can you kill deer with them?Sure but you gain nothing.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I really like G5 and I commend them for not marketing like Rage. There are a lot of features I like about the T3, such as all steel construction and cut on contact head. I am not sure about the spider clips until I see them in action.

The fact that you can tune the spider clips deployment is amazing to me. They now created a design so you can shoot through a blind if you wish. It's just that the design of the ferrule and blade connection doesn't look sturdy enough and I would be willing to bet that they break off or bend.

Tree'd get some dinner (spare ribs) and shoot a head through it for us. Be sure to take pics.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spur,
I don't have a pick of my rig. I am shooting a Hoyt Maxxis 35, set to 80# DW, 29" DL. Currently shooting CX Maxima Hunter 450s with 100 gr tip. Just got the Black Gold Solaris Site sighted in the other day. Whisker biscuit. Shooting 291 fps at 84 lbs KE.

When i get home tonight i'm going to conduct my test for you guys. I'm going to shoot through a 1" inch piece of target foam, then 2" behind that either paper or cardboard to see how much the blades are opened up. Iam assuming that they'll fly like every other mecahnical i've shot so far with this bow. I'll do this at 20yds.

I'm very interested in seeing what happens with these spider clips, thats why i bought them. Yeah its a $40 experiment that may not turn out well. But my buddies and me all try different stuff and pass around broadheads and stuff for each of us to try.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
Not saying it can't happen but I'd have to believe something would have to be drastically wrong for the blades to not open.How fast they open would be a legitimate concern.My biggest concern is the same as Spurs.Long thin blades connected to the ferule is one spot will be weak.They may work most of the time but that isn't good enough for me.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Too bad you weren't closer to Allentown. I'd like to see how they perform. I am waiting for a new designed fixed blade with bleeders on the trailing edge. Bownazi got a prototype and has been testing the design. It is one sweet head. When he gets them in, I'm getting those. You should take a ride out and we can do some tests on Spare Ribs with a variety of heads.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I shot 2 deer last year with the original Tekans and had blades break off on both shots. On the first one I broke both blades off inside the deer the exit hole looked like a field point went through. Luckily it was a good shot and the deer didn't go far because the blood trail wasn't very good. The second one broke 1 blade off in the deer. On both of those heads the blade snapped clean off at the ferrule leaving the 2 little studs that ride in the track and nothing else. I contacted G5 and told them about my experience and they admitted I must have gotten a bad batch of blades so they sent me replacement blades. I have not shot any of the new blades but I did break another blade off the 3rd head from the same pack shooting into a foam target. Based on my limited experience with the tekans and the fact that I broke blades off on the entrance hole both times I shot deer with them I am a little reluctant to hunt with them. I'm interested to see how the T3's perform for you in what ever tests you try.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts