The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i shoot rages right now and was thinking of switching but idk what i like better the tekans or the t3's by G5 any suggestions would be super

·
Banned
462 Posts
If it were me, id stick with the Rages! I too was like you last year and thought about giving Tekans a try and going away from the Rages for a year, well that was the dumbest thing ive ever done...I'm not going into great detail but il take Rages "soda can" aluminum over G5's supposed "anvel" steel any day of the week!!!! The Tekan broke on the first deer I ever shot with one, the rage has never broke and has put down everything ive shot with it faster than any gun kills I've ever had and the blood trails arent to shabby either!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I dont know if PAkilla got a bad batch, hit bone, or what... I was sold on the G5 Tekan 2's a few years back by an archery store owner in Virginia Beach. He had been using them quite a while and shot many deer/pigs with great results.

The first year I used them I shot 3 deer. Not one of them made it over 30 yards. Two of them dropped within 5 yards of the shot. Now I dont know if that was just good shooting because I practice a lot or what.

I have shot atleast 8 deer with them and always had good results. Last year was the first year I ever lost a deer but I shot it high and was a horrible shot (made me sick). Deer was at about 8 yards and I was 15ft up a tree and used my 20 yard pin on accident.

Anyways, the only bad thing I can say about them is that they haven't always left a good blood trail. BUT I usually get to watch/hear them fall so that never bothered me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well thanks for you inputs and i think ill just stick with the rages so i dont have to pay another $40 bucks for broadheads hahaha

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I had the same experience as PAkilla86 breaking blades on tekans. I contacted G5 and they told me they had a bad batch of blades go out and sent me a couple packs of replacement blades. I haven't shot them with new blades yet but I broke 3 of the original blades on 2 shots. One broke both blades off going through a rib on the entrance side and the other broke 1 blade off on the exit rib. The tekans I had been using worked flawlessly so it was obviously an issue with that pack. Hopefully the problem is resloved but I have no confidence in them now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I shot 3 deer last year with the same head( Tekan II) I cant say enough good things about them. I dont know about the T3's yet, The only thing I have shot them into was a carpet.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I've shot alot of different broadheads this year because i was also thinking of switching from Rages. I 've shot all the different slick tricks, G5 Montecs, Strikers, and T3s. NAP Spitfires,Shuttle T-Locks, and Rocket Broadheads. All flew great, of course some initial hit where my field points where. I did not tune for all them, i was just looking for initial flight and penetration. I do like the T3s and since they tuned exactly like my Rages, I'm going to have one in the quiver to see what it does on deer. I also like the Grizz Tricks, good flight, tuned easy and good penetration and i may take one along too.

I'd say all of them would do the job on the deer with the correct shot placement with my set up. Some broadheads don't like some set ups. The reasons I'm sticking with Rage again is that i have 4 brand new ones and they tuned pretty easy to my new setup.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just shot the grizz tricks for the first time and I am impressed. There was no tuning necessary with them and they are crazy sharp. If I had a complaint it would be that they are a little noisy through the air.

They way they fly though...I won't be trading them in for a while.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i killed my buck this year with the rages so glad i stuck with them

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
You cant go wrong with the T3's if you decide to change. I am using both those and Magnus Stingers and have no complaints.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
A lot has to do with shot placement, doesnt matter if the cutting diameter is 1 1/4" or 2", shot placement means everything. You can kill a deer with a field point if the shot placement is correct. The thing you have to worry most about broadheads is the flight pattern. For example, Muzzys are a great broadhead if your shot is 20 yards or less, but if your shooting more than 20 yards with Muzzys, then you need some luck on your side.......

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well just to follow up with you... I have shot 2 more deer this year so far with the Tekan II's and one made it 30 yards the other made it 40. Both were well placed shots. I have never had an issue with a blade breaking.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have used G5 Tekans for the past 4 season and have had nothing but great results. I shot my buck last year a little high after the arrow striking a limb and believe me, i was sick the moment i saw the lumenok go through. However, the deer ran about 40 yards and fell into a creek DOI. the blades opened perfectly and a nice blood trail led to my buck.

This year i switched to the T3's. Have not had an opportunity to test them yet, but i like the feeling of not being worried if my broadhead will do the job. I know they will. I have seen rages "cut on contact" tip be bent of and the aluminum foil blades snap just by being shot into a broadhead target....

I WILL NEVER SHOOT A RAGE... just don't trust em

1 - 13 of 13 Posts